The white smoke and ringing bells announced to the world that the cardinal electors had chosen a new pope, and about an hour later, Jorge Cardinal Bergoglio took St. Peter's balcony as Pope Francis I. He has the distinction of being the first pope from the Americas, as he is an Argentinian of Italian descent. He formerly served as the head of the Jesuit order, as well as Archbishop of Buenos Aires, and is currently 75 years old. Pope John Paul II named him a cardinal. He is said to be known for his humility and devotion to simplicity, which...
In response to:
Amy wrote about a quarter hour ago, "Faith is a one on one relationship between a human & that God...that speaks to the human in their heart & soul. Religion is humans attempting to stand as go between...so they control the power of Deity." Faith vs. religion, it seems to me, may be a bit of a false dilemma. Whether it is Judaism, or Christianity, or Islam, or anything else that is being transmitted, "we learn by hearing," as St. Paul says. Furthermore, the Creator made made humans to be social creatures, so it is natural that they use each other's assistance even in matters of faith. St. John of the Cross remarks that the gift of Counsel is so called because, by it, the Holy Ghost moves humans to seek good counsel from other humans.
- WH: Hey, Obama golfing in Key Largo during this crisis is the same as if he were in DC, only warmer Jazz Shaw 1 hour ago
- Rand Paul working to get David Jolly over the finish line in FL-13 special Jazz Shaw 2 hours ago
- CPAC: Daniel Hannan and the origins of liberty Ed Morrissey 4 hours ago
- Open thread: Sunday morning talking heads Allahpundit 5 hours ago
- Quote of the day Allahpundit 17 hours ago
- Big Labor: ObamaCare is making income inequality worse, you know Erika Johnsen 18 hours ago