“They want Iran to go back to what it was...
In response to:
Unfortunately, sometimes we seem to have followed policies calculated to annoy Russia without actually accomplishing anything thereby. (I do not mind annoying them, but only if there is something gained.) As I see it, the "near abroad" is probably going to be their playground, while the "far abroad" is part of OUR Cold War winnings, which we ought to plan on keeping out of the Russian sphere of influence. I think that Russia wants to be part of the West and ALSO to be a Great Power and, preferably, The Great Power. Deterrence is part of what is needed to incline Russia to emphasize the first part and put off pursuit of the second. Golitsyn: a BS artist playing on his alleged insights to peddle books and lectures to the gullible.
In an interview published today in Al-Ahram, a state-run Egyptian newspaper, Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad said Iran is already a nuclear state but has no interest in attacking Israel because the weapons are “defensive.” On the second day of his trip to Egypt, Ahmadinejad warned against an Israeli preemptive strike on Iranian nuclear facilities, saying such a strike would result in severe consequences for the “Zionists.” Ahmadinejad continued on to say that “from now on the world should treat Iran as a nuclear state” and addressed Iran’s latest technological advancements:
- Senate’s possible 2016 hopefuls gambling that ISIS war will be unpopular soon Noah Rothman 30 mins ago
- Biden to women’s conference: I miss Republicans like Bob Packwood Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- Bob Beckel: Get ready for an October surprise, Republicans Allahpundit 1 hour ago
- Cardinals clash over divorce, communion ahead of Vatican synod Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- Josh Earnest: Ignore Obama’s military critics because they served under Bush Noah Rothman 3 hours ago
- Jobs plan from WI gubernatorial candidate looks mighty … familiar Ed Morrissey 3 hours ago