“They want Iran to go back to what it was...
In response to:
Unfortunately, sometimes we seem to have followed policies calculated to annoy Russia without actually accomplishing anything thereby. (I do not mind annoying them, but only if there is something gained.) As I see it, the "near abroad" is probably going to be their playground, while the "far abroad" is part of OUR Cold War winnings, which we ought to plan on keeping out of the Russian sphere of influence. I think that Russia wants to be part of the West and ALSO to be a Great Power and, preferably, The Great Power. Deterrence is part of what is needed to incline Russia to emphasize the first part and put off pursuit of the second. Golitsyn: a BS artist playing on his alleged insights to peddle books and lectures to the gullible.
In an interview published today in Al-Ahram, a state-run Egyptian newspaper, Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad said Iran is already a nuclear state but has no interest in attacking Israel because the weapons are “defensive.” On the second day of his trip to Egypt, Ahmadinejad warned against an Israeli preemptive strike on Iranian nuclear facilities, saying such a strike would result in severe consequences for the “Zionists.” Ahmadinejad continued on to say that “from now on the world should treat Iran as a nuclear state” and addressed Iran’s latest technological advancements:
- New solution to border crisis: Send U.S. officials to Honduras to give kids refugee status? Allahpundit Jul 24, 2014
- Boehner accuses White House of sabotaging Veterans Affairs bill Noah Rothman Jul 24, 2014
- NFL suspends Ray Rice for two games in domestic-assault case Ed Morrissey Jul 24, 2014
- Great news from Hillary: The Russian reset worked Allahpundit Jul 24, 2014
- Thursday TEMS: Duane Patterson, Daniel Garza, Mike McFadden Ed Morrissey Jul 24, 2014
- FEC Chairman sounds alarm to Hot Air: There’s a ‘move afoot to constrict press freedoms’ Noah Rothman Jul 24, 2014