“They want Iran to go back to what it was...
In response to:
Unfortunately, sometimes we seem to have followed policies calculated to annoy Russia without actually accomplishing anything thereby. (I do not mind annoying them, but only if there is something gained.) As I see it, the "near abroad" is probably going to be their playground, while the "far abroad" is part of OUR Cold War winnings, which we ought to plan on keeping out of the Russian sphere of influence. I think that Russia wants to be part of the West and ALSO to be a Great Power and, preferably, The Great Power. Deterrence is part of what is needed to incline Russia to emphasize the first part and put off pursuit of the second. Golitsyn: a BS artist playing on his alleged insights to peddle books and lectures to the gullible.
In an interview published today in Al-Ahram, a state-run Egyptian newspaper, Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad said Iran is already a nuclear state but has no interest in attacking Israel because the weapons are “defensive.” On the second day of his trip to Egypt, Ahmadinejad warned against an Israeli preemptive strike on Iranian nuclear facilities, saying such a strike would result in severe consequences for the “Zionists.” Ahmadinejad continued on to say that “from now on the world should treat Iran as a nuclear state” and addressed Iran’s latest technological advancements:
- Obama aims to keep Democrats happy while he coasts to 2016 Noah Rothman 23 minutes ago
- WaPo: Is “the bear” loose … or is it an ostrich? Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- Federal judge to IRS: Explain these “lost” e-mails, please … under oath Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 11 hours ago
- Video: Losing Andrea Mitchell Mary Katharine Ham 11 hours ago
- Boehner: Obama lawsuit will focus on Obamacare enforcement Mary Katharine Ham 12 hours ago