“They want Iran to go back to what it was...
In response to:
My guess would be that the Iranians who are sufficiently fanatical and crazy are used (and treated as expendable) by the regime, but that they are not influential players within the regime itself. (This is, of course, the usual--though admittedly not invariable--pattern that we see in politics.) The IRGC poohbahs would not be where they are if they were suicidal. If they are not suicidal, however, then they are deterrable. A pre-emptive war with Iran would be so expensive and messy that the onus should be on the pro-war camp to make the case that deterrence is too risky and that war is the preferable policy. So far, that case has not been made.
In an interview published today in Al-Ahram, a state-run Egyptian newspaper, Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad said Iran is already a nuclear state but has no interest in attacking Israel because the weapons are “defensive.” On the second day of his trip to Egypt, Ahmadinejad warned against an Israeli preemptive strike on Iranian nuclear facilities, saying such a strike would result in severe consequences for the “Zionists.” Ahmadinejad continued on to say that “from now on the world should treat Iran as a nuclear state” and addressed Iran’s latest technological advancements:
- ISIS reportedly orders women and girls of Mosul to undergo ‘genital mutilation’ Noah Rothman 39 minutes ago
- WaPo editorial: Why is the world ignoring Hamas’ depravity? Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- Uncommon courage: Jeb Bush finally weighs in on the border crisis Noah Rothman 1 hour ago
- FAA, EASA reauthorize operations at Tel Aviv for Western airlines Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- Meriam Ibrahim lands in Italy, on way to US; Update: Meets with Pope Francis Ed Morrissey 3 hours ago
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 12 hours ago