When a conservative, especially one as estimable as Col. West, burns incense to Ayn Rand, the effect is as incongruous as brown shoes and a tuxedo. While Ayn Rand did effectively and memorably critique socialism and big government, she did so from the platform, as it were, of her own atheist and materialist ideology. When Randians and liberals fight, the shared atheist and materialist basis of libertarianism and leftism mean that what we have is a family dispute (sort of like between the Stalinists and the Trotskyists) where conservatives are well advised to be careful about whether and how they involve themselves.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 4 hours ago
- DeBlasio faces three lawsuits for trying to shut down charter schools Mary Katharine Ham 5 hours ago
- European countries to US: Give us your gas Erika Johnsen 7 hours ago
- Venezuelan protesters digging in for the long haul Erika Johnsen 8 hours ago
- “Walking Dead” grumble thread: Maybe we should talk about “True Detective” instead Allahpundit 8 hours ago
- Finally: Young liberals ready to explain the news to America Allahpundit 9 hours ago