When a conservative, especially one as estimable as Col. West, burns incense to Ayn Rand, the effect is as incongruous as brown shoes and a tuxedo. While Ayn Rand did effectively and memorably critique socialism and big government, she did so from the platform, as it were, of her own atheist and materialist ideology. When Randians and liberals fight, the shared atheist and materialist basis of libertarianism and leftism mean that what we have is a family dispute (sort of like between the Stalinists and the Trotskyists) where conservatives are well advised to be careful about whether and how they involve themselves.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 3 hours ago
- EPA exonerates Christie administration in obscure bridge-related offense someone made up Mary Katharine Ham 3 hours ago
- California energy companies are getting the heck outta’ dodge and moving to Texas Erika Johnsen 4 hours ago
- CNN poll: 58% oppose abortion in most or all cases Ed Morrissey 5 hours ago
- Video: Rand Paul’s very libertarian speech at CPAC Allahpundit 6 hours ago
- RNC Chairman talks tactics, the GOP’s technological gap, and how the March for Life “was a little bit of a wake-up call” Dustin Siggins 7 hours ago