Many have it backwards. Education doesn't determine society, it reflects it. Take a good lokk at all the college graduates and in many ways those going into education are above the rest. In every career you will find unqualified folks. As in other areas, if there are poor administrators, there are less effective workers. The real key is how much is education and hard work valued? The real reason charter, public, private, and home schools work is parents who value education and want their children to get a good one. Like so much else, too many think an education should just be given. It doesn't work that way.
American education is in a sorry state of affairs, and there's enough blame for all participants to have their fair share. They include students who are hostile and alien to the education process, uninterested parents, teachers and administrators who either are incompetent or have been beaten down by the system, and politicians who've become handmaidens for teachers unions. There's another education issue that's neither flattering nor comfortable to confront and talk about. That's the low academic preparation of many teachers. That's an issue that must be confronted and dealt with if we're to improve the quality of education. Let's look at...
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 3 hours ago
- Media Matters not super-keen on SEIU unionizing its employees Mary Katharine Ham 3 hours ago
- Video: How removing one regulation created hundreds of jobs in Mississippi Mary Katharine Ham 4 hours ago
- The EPA confirms: GHG emissions are down, largely thanks to… Erika Johnsen 5 hours ago
- CBO: Uhm, about Obama’s FY2015 budget proposal… it’s way more expensive than the White House claimed Erika Johnsen 5 hours ago
- Jay Carney: The toughest interview Obama had in 2012 was with … Jon Stewart Allahpundit 6 hours ago