Patriot, I worked as a welfare caseworker for years until recently. The fraud problem is much, much worse than anyone has ever reported. I'm not talking people misusing their cards, or stores cheating the system...I'm talking people who are lying about their circumstances to get food stamps in the first place. Usually it's two parents living together and the one with the higher income isn't reported. Then the welfare recipient says he or she, the "absent parent," provides no or very little "voluntary child support." I've seen this scam dozens and dozens of times. Multiply my caseload by the number of caseloads in this country, and you have a huge incidence of fraud.
- MNSure asks for additional $12.5 million to fix website and call center Ed Morrissey 41 minutes ago
- Federal committee devising new dietary guidelines based on… climate change Erika Johnsen 1 hour ago
- National Journal: Loss in HHS contraception mandate case would “restrict access” for women Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- Business groups “blindsided” by Obama overtime redefinition Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- Trey Gowdy on Obama’s power grabs: “How does going from being a senator to a president re-write the Constitution?” Allahpundit 3 hours ago
- Video: Criminal probe opening in GM recall? Ed Morrissey 4 hours ago