Despite the celebrations among Democrats, yesterday a majority of Supreme Court justices ruled that the Constitution does not allow the government to force Americans to buy health insurance. However in providing the swing vote to uphold the Affordable Care Act (aka Obamacare) Chief Justice John Roberts broke with the four other justices who shared that view by declaring that the methods chosen to get individuals to buy insurance were not penalties but taxes. He declared that the government wasn't legislating behavior, but simply taxing it. In reaching this tortured decision he erred by declaring the penalties to be taxes and then compounded...
This is just another tax, another way to take money away from hard working people and give it to people so they can sit on their couch. In other words, another way to buy votes. It may seem a bit harsh, but I think that anyone receiving government assistance should not be allowed to vote. I think that those working for the government should be allowed to vote as they are performing a legitamate function, for the most part but those receiving welfare, food stamps, or some other form of government fundting should not be allowed to vote. One thing this would do would prevent politicians from using tax dollars to buy votes.
- DNC chairwoman: What, politics influencing the president’s Keystone XL delay? Nahhh. Erika Johnsen 4 hours ago
- Oklahoma will charge homeowners who generate their own power Jazz Shaw 7 hours ago
- Modern tales of the Good Samaritan Jazz Shaw 10 hours ago
- Gosnell Movie crosses the million-dollar mark Ed Morrissey 12 hours ago
- Open thread: Sunday morning talking heads Allahpundit 14 hours ago
- A blessed and happy Easter Sunday to all Hot Air readers! Ed Morrissey 22 hours ago