Dr. S nails it again. AMA is embarrassing itself due to its ineptitude as an advocate for physicians and also as an incompetent thought leader on the major issues regarding healthcare in this nation. What is left out of this opinion is the fact that the medical and surgical specialty societies generally look to the AMA as their guide to policy and advocacy, making the situation even more dire. American physicians are treading water in stormy seas of "other" special interests such as drug manufacturers, insurance lobby, trial lawyers, hospital conglomerates and the push to increase scope of practice by allied health professionals. Ultimate loser here is the patient.
In the aftermath of the Obama presidential election, healthcare reform became an intensely debated political issue, and the American Medical Association (AMA) had a difficult time deciding their position on the Affordable Care Act (ACA, Obamacare). In 2009, the AMA initially announced that they could not support President Obama'a plan for healthcare reform. One week later, they abruptly reversed course, proclaiming that they were completely behind his plan; support which proved critical for passage of this bill. Two weeks ago, the AMA announced their version of a premium support plan for Medicare, which would be introduced and debated during their...
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 1 hour ago
- Video: Sharyl Attkisson wants to know where the illegal immigrant children have gone Jazz Shaw 3 hours ago
- Video: Cruz presser at AFP summit Ed Morrissey 4 hours ago
- Video: Pete Hegseth on VA scandal, ISIS threat at AFP’s Defending the Dream summit Ed Morrissey 6 hours ago
- California Dem moves to outlaw some civilian body armor Jazz Shaw 7 hours ago
- Don’t count Rob Ford out just yet Jazz Shaw 9 hours ago