Dr. S nails it again. AMA is embarrassing itself due to its ineptitude as an advocate for physicians and also as an incompetent thought leader on the major issues regarding healthcare in this nation. What is left out of this opinion is the fact that the medical and surgical specialty societies generally look to the AMA as their guide to policy and advocacy, making the situation even more dire. American physicians are treading water in stormy seas of "other" special interests such as drug manufacturers, insurance lobby, trial lawyers, hospital conglomerates and the push to increase scope of practice by allied health professionals. Ultimate loser here is the patient.
In the aftermath of the Obama presidential election, healthcare reform became an intensely debated political issue, and the American Medical Association (AMA) had a difficult time deciding their position on the Affordable Care Act (ACA, Obamacare). In 2009, the AMA initially announced that they could not support President Obama'a plan for healthcare reform. One week later, they abruptly reversed course, proclaiming that they were completely behind his plan; support which proved critical for passage of this bill. Two weeks ago, the AMA announced their version of a premium support plan for Medicare, which would be introduced and debated during their...
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 10 hours ago
- Video: How does the president’s tone help solve the problem? Mary Katharine Ham 10 hours ago
- Obama’s law professor: There’s a “very high risk” that a federal court is going to gut ObamaCare Allahpundit 11 hours ago
- This is CNN: White gay man and black woman argue over who is ‘stealing’ the other’s culture Noah Rothman 12 hours ago
- Palin makes the case for impeaching Obama Allahpundit 12 hours ago
- Video: Megyn Kelly vs. Nancy Pelosi on the Hobby Lobby ruling Allahpundit 13 hours ago