Dr. S nails it again. AMA is embarrassing itself due to its ineptitude as an advocate for physicians and also as an incompetent thought leader on the major issues regarding healthcare in this nation. What is left out of this opinion is the fact that the medical and surgical specialty societies generally look to the AMA as their guide to policy and advocacy, making the situation even more dire. American physicians are treading water in stormy seas of "other" special interests such as drug manufacturers, insurance lobby, trial lawyers, hospital conglomerates and the push to increase scope of practice by allied health professionals. Ultimate loser here is the patient.
In the aftermath of the Obama presidential election, healthcare reform became an intensely debated political issue, and the American Medical Association (AMA) had a difficult time deciding their position on the Affordable Care Act (ACA, Obamacare). In 2009, the AMA initially announced that they could not support President Obama'a plan for healthcare reform. One week later, they abruptly reversed course, proclaiming that they were completely behind his plan; support which proved critical for passage of this bill. Two weeks ago, the AMA announced their version of a premium support plan for Medicare, which would be introduced and debated during their...
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 1 hour ago
- Scarborough: A certain network should cover Bridgegate clearing as much as allegations Mary Katharine Ham 1 hour ago
- Remind me again, why isn’t Condi Rice running for president? Allahpundit 2 hours ago
- Following Scotland’s lead: 25% of USA residents open to breaking away Noah Rothman 3 hours ago
- Video: Does watching NFL games make you an ‘enabler’ of domestic violence? Guy Benson 3 hours ago
- Video: Remy solves “the ISIS crisis” as only he can Allahpundit 4 hours ago