Obama's act of oratorical magic -- poof, the global war has ended -- became an awkward problem, however. Real world events subsequently demonstrated that the word "overseas" was at best misleading, if not outright wrong. Detroit, New York and Portland, Ore., certainly aren't overseas, yet militant Islamist-inspired terrorists tried (and fortunately failed) to bomb all three -- Detroit on Christmas 2009, New York's Times Square in...
In response to:
Four years ago, as his first term began, President Barack Obama ditched the name Global War on Terror (GWOT). Instead of fighting Al-Qaida-inspired terrorism around the world, the U.S. would conduct "overseas contingency operations" (OCO).
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 31 mins ago
- Scarborough: A certain network should cover Bridgegate clearing as much as allegations Mary Katharine Ham 1 hour ago
- Remind me again, why isn’t Condi Rice running for president? Allahpundit 1 hour ago
- Following Scotland’s lead: 25% of USA residents open to breaking away Noah Rothman 2 hours ago
- Video: Does watching NFL games make you an ‘enabler’ of domestic violence? Guy Benson 3 hours ago
- Video: Remy solves “the ISIS crisis” as only he can Allahpundit 3 hours ago