Huge pensions for retired government workers can be found from small municipalities to national governments on both sides of the Atlantic. There is a reason. For elected officials, pensions are virtually the ideal thing to spend money on, politically speaking. Many kinds of spending of the taxpayers' money win votes from the recipients. But...
Development in tech is often leapfrog. The Germans had the Horton 226? And a whole load of new ideas they couldn’t bring to bear and weren’t complete. Given another year and resources WW2 would have been a very different ending. America had the Mustang and a whole load of aircraft that would not have been if not for UK design. They caught up with the help of friends. Friends who are not really doing more than jog along. Korea was a case in point of USA shutting up the shop and going home to find another war erupting. USA had brilliant pilots against superior soviet aircraft manned by substandard pilots. It was the man who made Korea. Especially as they were planning to disband the marines. War is fast and now down to moments. China...
A nation's choice between spending on military defense and spending on civilian goods has often been posed as "guns versus butter." But understanding the choices of many nations' political leaders might be helped by examining the contrast between their runaway spending on pensions while skimping on military defense.
- Audio: Joe Biden being Joe Biden, Jewish outreach edition Ed Morrissey 10 mins ago
- Benghazi hearings about to force the press to pay attention Noah Rothman 50 mins ago
- CBS/NYT poll shows Obama at new low on terrorism, foreign policy Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 10 hours ago
- Sotloff “fixer”: Americans never contacted me after his abduction Ed Morrissey 11 hours ago
- David Cameron to Scotland: Baby, don’t go. Mary Katharine Ham 12 hours ago