We could see the beginning of a similar rebellion against marijuana prohibition this year as voters in three states -- Washington, Colorado and Oregon -- decide whether to legalize the drug's production and sale for recreational use. If any of these ballot initiatives pass, it might be the...
I have been listening to this same old worn out argument since the 70's. The legalization of alcohol is known. The legalization of pot is not. Children will not be able to legally by the drug so they will be the new target for illegal sales. There will be no reduction in crime and any economic benefit will be absorbed by the increased demand for government assistance in getting off of marijuana. Children will not benefit from parents who are high. There is no upside except for those who are already smoke pot and would like to make it legal and cheaper.
By the time the 21st Amendment ended national alcohol prohibition in December 1933, more than a dozen states had already opted out. Maryland never passed its own version of the Volstead Act, while New York repealed its alcohol prohibition law in 1923. Eleven other states eliminated their statutes by referendum in November 1932.
- Report: Qatar scuttled Gaza cease-fire for not having seat at Cairo table Ed Morrissey 52 mins ago
- White House now leaning on Eric Holder to play the role of racial healer? Noah Rothman 1 hour ago
- WaPo: Was Foley’s killer a former Gitmo detainee? Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- Everything has changed after the execution of James Foley by ISIS Noah Rothman 2 hours ago
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 12 hours ago
- There will be nothing from the president tonight on the beheading of an American journalist Update: Statement tomorrow Mary Katharine Ham 12 hours ago