The idea is that the increased government spending and deficits will increase demand in the economy for more production, and that producers will increase supply to meet that demand, hiring more workers and reducing unemployment in the process. Keynesian economics arose in the 1930s in response to the Depression. It never worked then, as the recession of 1929 extended into the decade long...
Thomas Sowell covers this pretty well. Politicians love Keynesian economics because it gives them more power. They can get credit for doing something, even when the results of what they do make things worse.
Keynesian economics is the false vision of human action that says the way to promote economic recovery and renewed growth is through increased government spending, deficits and debt. If that sounds nuts, that's because it is.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 1 hour ago
- Former loathsome nanny-state mayor confuses blogger with second awesome move this summer Mary Katharine Ham 2 hours ago
- Video: Army Medal of Honor recipient breaks gavel at New York Stock Exchange Mary Katharine Ham 3 hours ago
- Senate analysis: What does “success” look like for the GOP in 2014? Guy Benson 3 hours ago
- Could a Republican president gut ObamaCare without action from Congress or the Supreme Court? Allahpundit 4 hours ago
- Rubio: Immigration reform won’t happen for another 10 years unless border security comes first Allahpundit 5 hours ago