I believe this is pretty accurate quote by Lincoln:"If I could save the union and not free the slaves, I would do it, and if I could save the Union by freeing all the slaves, I would do that as well." I do think, however, that the breaking up of the Union, however had more of a punch to it in the mind's of American's than the loss of Federal taxes that the writer alludes to. Lincoln knew he was not an abolitionist, and felt the South had no need to secede, but ultimately completely underestimated the South's resolve. And after Bull Run - which opened many an eye - neither side would back down. Today a tyrant reigns and the aware know it. Soon the blood shed on battlefields from Lexington Green to Omaha Beach to Afganistan and Iraq will cal
Steven Spielberg's "Lincoln" has been a box-office hit and nominated for 12 Academy Awards, including best picture, best director and best actor for Daniel Day-Lewis, who portrayed our 16th president. I haven't seen the movie; therefore, this column is not about the movie but about a man deified by many. My colleague Thomas DiLorenzo, economics professor at Loyola University Maryland, exposed some of the Lincoln myth in his 2006 book, "Lincoln Unmasked." Now comes Joseph Fallon, cultural intelligence analyst and former U.S. Army Intelligence Center instructor, with his new e-book, "Lincoln Uncensored." Fallon's book examines 10 volumes of collected writings and...
- Luis Gutierrez: I have a duty to protect America, which is why I can’t support a border security bill Allahpundit 10 mins ago
- Iowa’s Joni Ernst isn’t out yet: New poll shows her with a majority support Noah Rothman 50 mins ago
- Gates: No “hope of success” against ISIS without boots on the ground Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- Audio: Joe Biden being Joe Biden, Jewish outreach edition; Update: “Poor choice of words” Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- Benghazi hearings about to force the press to pay attention Noah Rothman 2 hours ago
- CBS/NYT poll shows Obama at new low on terrorism, foreign policy Ed Morrissey 3 hours ago