However, this intrinsic tension is distorted and magnified when the government starts choosing religions it will protect and religions it will allow to be sacrificed in the name of egalitarianism or as an attempt to make up for...
That is an absolute absurdity. And it's an attempt to merely misdirect the whole conversation. Can we raise the level of discussion here and quit attacking people? Comments like yours tell people you're 1) not serious about the subject posed; and 2) you have a deep-seeded contempt for anyone who disagrees with you and what appears to be a whole host of subjects. Furthermore, it is the Left who disdain the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution -- except when they come in handy as weapons to attack those on the Right.
An intrinsic tension exists between religious freedom and the machinations of government. This is largely because neither men nor the governments men form are wholly free from evil. Thus James Madison’s timeless statement in Federalist 51: “If men were angels, no government would be necessary. If angels were to govern men, neither external nor internal controls on government would be necessary.”
- Open thread: Sunday morning talking heads Ed Morrissey 41 minutes ago
- Quotes of the Day Jazz Shaw 12 hours ago
- Would-be victim delivering pizza thwarts would-be robbery with her concealed weapon Erika Johnsen 13 hours ago
- The EPA is charging $75,000/day over a private citizen’s pond, but don’t you worry about their revisions to the Clean Water Act Erika Johnsen 15 hours ago
- Christie jacking up tax on e-cigarettes Jazz Shaw 16 hours ago
- Interview with Al Baldasaro Jazz Shaw 18 hours ago