However, this intrinsic tension is distorted and magnified when the government starts choosing religions it will protect and religions it will allow to be sacrificed in the name of egalitarianism or as an attempt to make up for...
That is an absolute absurdity. And it's an attempt to merely misdirect the whole conversation. Can we raise the level of discussion here and quit attacking people? Comments like yours tell people you're 1) not serious about the subject posed; and 2) you have a deep-seeded contempt for anyone who disagrees with you and what appears to be a whole host of subjects. Furthermore, it is the Left who disdain the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution -- except when they come in handy as weapons to attack those on the Right.
An intrinsic tension exists between religious freedom and the machinations of government. This is largely because neither men nor the governments men form are wholly free from evil. Thus James Madison’s timeless statement in Federalist 51: “If men were angels, no government would be necessary. If angels were to govern men, neither external nor internal controls on government would be necessary.”
- Uh oh: Democratic senator from Montana accused of plagiarism in Army War College assignment Allahpundit 28 minutes ago
- Obama orders American ‘military advisors’ to support Ukraine against pro-Russian rebels Noah Rothman 1 hour ago
- “Gas the Jews”: Supporters of Hamas run riot in French city, smash Jewish shops Allahpundit 1 hour ago
- Investigation reveals Obamacare is a fraudster’s dream come true Noah Rothman 2 hours ago
- Ukraine rebel leader: Yeah, we had a BUK system — and sent it back to Russia Ed Morrissey 3 hours ago
- Did Cuomo obstruct his own anti-corruption crusade? Ed Morrissey 3 hours ago