However, this intrinsic tension is distorted and magnified when the government starts choosing religions it will protect and religions it will allow to be sacrificed in the name of egalitarianism or as an attempt to make up for...
That is an absolute absurdity. And it's an attempt to merely misdirect the whole conversation. Can we raise the level of discussion here and quit attacking people? Comments like yours tell people you're 1) not serious about the subject posed; and 2) you have a deep-seeded contempt for anyone who disagrees with you and what appears to be a whole host of subjects. Furthermore, it is the Left who disdain the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution -- except when they come in handy as weapons to attack those on the Right.
An intrinsic tension exists between religious freedom and the machinations of government. This is largely because neither men nor the governments men form are wholly free from evil. Thus James Madison’s timeless statement in Federalist 51: “If men were angels, no government would be necessary. If angels were to govern men, neither external nor internal controls on government would be necessary.”
- Pentagon: ‘Years’ of war ahead in Syria and Iraq Noah Rothman 21 mins ago
- Carson: “Likelihood is strong” that I’ll run for President in 2016 Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- TEMS Tuesday: Andrew Malcolm, Sen. James Inhofe, Salena Zito Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- Sisi: Egypt backs US strikes on ISIS, will participate in coalition, if … Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- Video: Israel shoots down Syrian jet over Golan Heights Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- Joe Biden 2012: Can you believe Mitt Romney wants to hit Syria? Allahpundit 3 hours ago