Ph.D.'s and other False Gods

The Original King Wrote: Dec 17, 2014 10:54 AM
Chries.........thanks for the response. Even with that explanation, I'm not sure that Prager's premise makes sense. Unless there is a long, significant, line of people coming forward to say that they became so overworked while earning their doctorate degrees that they had to put their religious practices on hold, I'm not sure what his concern is.

Ph.D.'s and other False Gods

The Original King Wrote: Dec 16, 2014 9:24 PM
Mag.........spot on. It's very difficult to believe that whoever came up with this was thinking about the "worship" of a PHD degree as opposed to the worship of the sun god.

Ph.D.'s and other False Gods

The Original King Wrote: Dec 16, 2014 2:37 PM
Although the (religious) God a person believes in might very well be the most important thing to him, the reverse is not true, ie the most important thing to a person is not necessarily his "god". Visualize a non-believing homeless man on a freezing cold night. It's not far fetched to say that his sleeping bag is the most important thing to him...but that doesn't make it his "god".

Ph.D.'s and other False Gods

The Original King Wrote: Dec 16, 2014 2:31 PM
Chries.....but it's not a one or the other proposition. You can absolutely LOVE music/art, etc and still believe or disbelieve in God. Hell, Prager, on a regular basis, extols the virtue and value of music both to him and society in general. So it's fine for him to say that (and I agree that it IS)...but, if a non-believer makes the same remarks, all of a sudden that person is elevating music to a God-like status? Bottom line....you can put a HUGE value on music, education, good food, good friends, the NFL, etc etc etc etc and none of them have to be any type of substitute for God....there is NO shortage whatsoever of deeply religious people who value some or all of those.

Ph.D.'s and other False Gods

The Original King Wrote: Dec 16, 2014 2:20 PM
Chries.........I don't consider that nit picking. I was asking a serious question. Do you have an answer?

Ph.D.'s and other False Gods

The Original King Wrote: Dec 16, 2014 2:19 PM
10....I didn't think you've ever provided a well thought out response. If you want, I'll give you a second chance........(1) how do you interpret the title line about PHD's......is it about the degree itself about or about people who have the degree? And instead of saying "try reading the article", why not point out the specific part of the article that addresses that specific question. and (2) Have you ever met ANYONE who has EVER (in a serious, not joking manner) referred to the degree or a person having a PHD as being THEIR "God"? I sure as hell never have.

Ph.D.'s and other False Gods

The Original King Wrote: Dec 16, 2014 11:37 AM
Can someone please explain what Prager is referring to in the title? Is it a reference to the PHD degree or to PEOPLE who HAVE the degree? Either way, it's rather absurd. I've yet to meet ANYONE who EVER thought that either a doctorate degree itself or a person with such a degree was a "god".
Hello Chries..........Oh, I definitely consider myself to be agnostic......but....I will admit, (or state), that, if you put the proverbial gun to my head while telling me to get off the fence, I would fall more toward the atheist side. To answer some of the other questions....I definitely reject the ideas surrounding the origin of the ten commandments.....but....as for the commandments themselves, I think several of them (don't steal, don't murder, don't bear false witness etc) are vitally important if we are going to have a civilized society. As for whether I ever professed faith in God, I definitely did believe at one point....it was drilled into my head at a VERY early age, followed by 10 years of Catholic school. At some point, probably in my early 20's, (and, no it had NOTHING to do with going to college), I began questioning the "common sense" or logic of most facets of religion. Since then, my skepticism has continued rising....I have had no personal experience that has brought me, in any way, back to religious faith. FWIW, I recall some time ago when Prager was spouting an opinion that atheists/agnostics do not want there to be a God/heaven. I thought it was a rather stupid thing to say.........I DO hope that there is something beyond this life and that everything doesn't completely end with death. But, as stated, MY sense of logic tells me that this life is all there is (I emphasized the word "my" to stress that I am NOT saying that those who do have faith do not have common sense)
Mainstream..it's not accurate to say that I am unwilling to accept the proposition that there is a creator. I just believe that, if there IS one, he/she/it is NOTHING like the God described in most mainstream religions. Including, but certainly not limited to, being a God who would have these vitally important commandments that we wants us to live by...but, somehow, he presented in such a way that no one knows where the hell they are or if they ever really existed.
Chries....I assume this was directed at me. It looks as if you and I are on opposite sides on your interpretation of why I would ever question the legitimacy of the 10 commandment story. If, as you suggest I really DID have a fear that I will have to answer to a creator for not following these supposed commandments, I would be much likely to BELIEVE the story, not poo poo it. To use a secular analogy, if you are quite convinced that man made climate change is complete rubbish and/or an outright hoax and I were to suggest that the REAL reason you have taken that position is because you really are afraid that the earth IS warming and that there are catastrophic events, life altering events just around the corner, your response would probably be "What??!! That's NOT why I don't believe in GW!"