Yet, as a percentage of the party, more Republicans voted for the passage of...
In response to:
If blacks can find their way to the welfare office, or to the place that gives away free cell phones, or can get to the supermarket to spend their monthly EBT, they can find a way to the post office to fill out a voter registration card. I get sick to death of hearing all the sniveling about how hard it is to vote or get registered. If anything it is too EASY. If you're too lazy to learn how to exercise your franchise, then you have no business in the polling booth to begin with.
As recently as 1956, nearly 39 percent of blacks voted Republican in that year's presidential election. After the Civil War, Abe Lincoln's Republican Party easily carried the black vote -- where blacks were allowed to vote. Unwelcome in the Democratic Party, most blacks voted Republican and continued to do so through the early part of the 20th century. It wasn't until 1948, when 77 percent of the black vote went to Harry Truman, who had desegregated the military, that a majority of blacks identified themselves as Democrats.
- Look how the Export-Import Bank is using your tax money Jazz Shaw 1 hour ago
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 13 hours ago
- Video: How does the president’s tone help solve the problem? Mary Katharine Ham 14 hours ago
- Obama’s law professor: There’s a “very high risk” that a federal court is going to gut ObamaCare Allahpundit 15 hours ago
- This is CNN: White gay man and black woman argue over who is ‘stealing’ the other’s culture Noah Rothman 15 hours ago
- Palin makes the case for impeaching Obama Allahpundit 16 hours ago