Yet, as a percentage of the party, more Republicans voted for the passage of...
In response to:
If blacks can find their way to the welfare office, or to the place that gives away free cell phones, or can get to the supermarket to spend their monthly EBT, they can find a way to the post office to fill out a voter registration card. I get sick to death of hearing all the sniveling about how hard it is to vote or get registered. If anything it is too EASY. If you're too lazy to learn how to exercise your franchise, then you have no business in the polling booth to begin with.
As recently as 1956, nearly 39 percent of blacks voted Republican in that year's presidential election. After the Civil War, Abe Lincoln's Republican Party easily carried the black vote -- where blacks were allowed to vote. Unwelcome in the Democratic Party, most blacks voted Republican and continued to do so through the early part of the 20th century. It wasn't until 1948, when 77 percent of the black vote went to Harry Truman, who had desegregated the military, that a majority of blacks identified themselves as Democrats.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 4 hours ago
- Video: Shep vs. Earnest Mary Katharine Ham 4 hours ago
- In New York City, a safety regulation makes the streets less safe Mary Katharine Ham 5 hours ago
- Federal investigators find no connection between Christie and Bridgegate Ed Morrissey 6 hours ago
- Boehner: You know what would help our economy? Immigration reform Allahpundit 6 hours ago
- White House: It’s not combat, but US troops will return fire if they’re shot at… Noah Rothman 7 hours ago