Take two leftist ideal non-for-profit hospitals, identical in every way, with each hospital having equal numbers of men and women in each job position and paying each one the exact same hourly wage. The hospital pays 100% of every employee's health insurance. Every employee gets 12 sick days a year that can be rolled over but not taken as pay unless you are sick. The hospital shares any profit with the employees as a pay raise, but also shares any losses with corresponding equal pay cuts. Now, take all the women from hospital A and switch them to hospital B, and replace all the vacant hospital A positions with the men from hospital B. The income of the two hospitals at the end a year will still be the same, but hospital A will be giving its employees a raise, and hospital B will be giving their all female staff pay cuts even though every single job position is being paid the same hourly wage. Why? Health insurance premiums at hospital B go up due to OB/GYNE benefits changes the group risk and rates. Hospital B discovers it now has twice as many women out on maternity leave and getting sick pay, which it has to cover with either overtime, expensive temp agency labor, or permanently hiring more employees, and hospital A discovers it has no one out on maternity leave and their insurance premiums have gone down.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 7 hours ago
- Media Matters not super-keen on SEIU unionizing its employees Mary Katharine Ham 8 hours ago
- Video: How removing one regulation created hundreds of jobs in Mississippi Mary Katharine Ham 9 hours ago
- The EPA confirms: GHG emissions are down, largely thanks to… Erika Johnsen 9 hours ago
- CBO: Uhm, about Obama’s FY2015 budget proposal… it’s way more expensive than the White House claimed Erika Johnsen 10 hours ago
- Jay Carney: The toughest interview Obama had in 2012 was with … Jon Stewart Allahpundit 11 hours ago