As Katie has noted above, the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee has concluded that Lois Lerner waived her Fifth Amendment rights at the hearing last week by reading a statement protesting her innocence. Thus, the subpoena directed to her remains in effect and she may be recalled to testify before the committee.
But what if she invokes the Fifth again? Presumably, she would be held in contempt of Congress. And again: So what? So was Eric Holder, with little to show for it. So how does Congress enforce any sanction against Lerner?
It's not easy. As this
Breaking on TOWNHALL
- Obama meets Ebola survivor Nina Pham in the Oval Office Allahpundit 22 mins ago
- Gallup poll shows Tea Party supporters the most motivated to vote Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- Red line? ISIS used chemical weapons against Iraqi army Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- Rise of Ebola and terrorism a perfect storm for the GOP? Noah Rothman 3 hours ago
- Report: Ebola cases starting to drop in Liberia Allahpundit 3 hours ago
- Not exactly self-isolation: Ebola patient’s itinerary prompts questions about protocols Ed Morrissey 4 hours ago