As Katie has noted above, the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee has concluded that Lois Lerner waived her Fifth Amendment rights at the hearing last week by reading a statement protesting her innocence. Thus, the subpoena directed to her remains in effect and she may be recalled to testify before the committee.
But what if she invokes the Fifth again? Presumably, she would be held in contempt of Congress. And again: So what? So was Eric Holder, with little to show for it. So how does Congress enforce any sanction against Lerner?
It's not easy. As this
- New solution to border crisis: Send U.S. officials to Honduras to give kids refugee status? Allahpundit Jul 24, 2014
- Boehner accuses White House of sabotaging Veterans Affairs bill Noah Rothman Jul 24, 2014
- NFL suspends Ray Rice for two games in domestic-assault case Ed Morrissey Jul 24, 2014
- Great news from Hillary: The Russian reset worked Allahpundit Jul 24, 2014
- Thursday TEMS: Duane Patterson, Daniel Garza, Mike McFadden Ed Morrissey Jul 24, 2014
- FEC Chairman sounds alarm to Hot Air: There’s a ‘move afoot to constrict press freedoms’ Noah Rothman Jul 24, 2014