Huge pensions for retired government workers can be found from small municipalities to national governments on both sides of the Atlantic. There is a reason. For elected officials, pensions are virtually the ideal thing to spend money on, politically speaking. Many kinds of spending of the taxpayers' money win votes from the recipients. But...
No one is complaining that these people have pensions. They are complaining these people retire making more money than the average non-government worker still in the work force. And they retire at a very young age. With full benefits. I wish my job paid as well as most government retirement.
A nation's choice between spending on military defense and spending on civilian goods has often been posed as "guns versus butter." But understanding the choices of many nations' political leaders might be helped by examining the contrast between their runaway spending on pensions while skimping on military defense.
- DNC chairwoman: What, politics influencing the president’s Keystone XL delay? Nahhh. Erika Johnsen 3 hours ago
- Oklahoma will charge homeowners who generate their own power Jazz Shaw 6 hours ago
- Modern tales of the Good Samaritan Jazz Shaw 9 hours ago
- Gosnell Movie crosses the million-dollar mark Ed Morrissey 11 hours ago
- Open thread: Sunday morning talking heads Allahpundit 13 hours ago
- A blessed and happy Easter Sunday to all Hot Air readers! Ed Morrissey 21 hours ago