Huge pensions for retired government workers can be found from small municipalities to national governments on both sides of the Atlantic. There is a reason. For elected officials, pensions are virtually the ideal thing to spend money on, politically speaking. Many kinds of spending of the taxpayers' money win votes from the recipients. But...
No one is complaining that these people have pensions. They are complaining these people retire making more money than the average non-government worker still in the work force. And they retire at a very young age. With full benefits. I wish my job paid as well as most government retirement.
A nation's choice between spending on military defense and spending on civilian goods has often been posed as "guns versus butter." But understanding the choices of many nations' political leaders might be helped by examining the contrast between their runaway spending on pensions while skimping on military defense.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 9 hours ago
- Scarborough: A certain network should cover Bridgegate clearing as much as allegations Mary Katharine Ham 9 hours ago
- Remind me again, why isn’t Condi Rice running for president? Allahpundit 10 hours ago
- Following Scotland’s lead: 25% of USA residents open to breaking away Noah Rothman 11 hours ago
- Video: Does watching NFL games make you an ‘enabler’ of domestic violence? Guy Benson 11 hours ago
- Video: Remy solves “the ISIS crisis” as only he can Allahpundit 12 hours ago