Huge pensions for retired government workers can be found from small municipalities to national governments on both sides of the Atlantic. There is a reason. For elected officials, pensions are virtually the ideal thing to spend money on, politically speaking. Many kinds of spending of the taxpayers' money win votes from the recipients. But...
No one is complaining that these people have pensions. They are complaining these people retire making more money than the average non-government worker still in the work force. And they retire at a very young age. With full benefits. I wish my job paid as well as most government retirement.
A nation's choice between spending on military defense and spending on civilian goods has often been posed as "guns versus butter." But understanding the choices of many nations' political leaders might be helped by examining the contrast between their runaway spending on pensions while skimping on military defense.
- Engel: Military officials “apoplectic” over Obama’s “no-strategy” comment Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- The Democratic revolt continues: Key senator calls for Obama to arm Ukraine Noah Rothman 3 hours ago
- Nearly two years after Benghazi, American embassy in Libya’s capital falls to Islamists Noah Rothman 5 hours ago
- “We need a national conversation…” Jazz Shaw 7 hours ago
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 19 hours ago
- Will 2014 be the year that Jews support the GOP? Jazz Shaw 21 hours ago