Huge pensions for retired government workers can be found from small municipalities to national governments on both sides of the Atlantic. There is a reason. For elected officials, pensions are virtually the ideal thing to spend money on, politically speaking. Many kinds of spending of the taxpayers' money win votes from the recipients. But...
No one is complaining that these people have pensions. They are complaining these people retire making more money than the average non-government worker still in the work force. And they retire at a very young age. With full benefits. I wish my job paid as well as most government retirement.
A nation's choice between spending on military defense and spending on civilian goods has often been posed as "guns versus butter." But understanding the choices of many nations' political leaders might be helped by examining the contrast between their runaway spending on pensions while skimping on military defense.
- Yep: MSNBC would react quite differently if Tea Partiers threw rocks at them Mary Katharine Ham 50 mins ago
- Finally: George W. Bush takes the ALS Ice Bucket challenge Allahpundit 1 hour ago
- WaPo/ABC poll: Majority approves of airstrikes in Iraq … Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- Report: Two times as many British Muslims fighting for ISIS as with U.K. armed forces Noah Rothman 3 hours ago
- All in: Red-state Democrat Mark Pryor launches rare pro-ObamaCare midterm ad Allahpundit 3 hours ago
- Audio: And now a word from Mike Ditka about this Redskins “horsesh*t” Allahpundit 4 hours ago