Huge pensions for retired government workers can be found from small municipalities to national governments on both sides of the Atlantic. There is a reason. For elected officials, pensions are virtually the ideal thing to spend money on, politically speaking. Many kinds of spending of the taxpayers' money win votes from the recipients. But...
No one is complaining that these people have pensions. They are complaining these people retire making more money than the average non-government worker still in the work force. And they retire at a very young age. With full benefits. I wish my job paid as well as most government retirement.
A nation's choice between spending on military defense and spending on civilian goods has often been posed as "guns versus butter." But understanding the choices of many nations' political leaders might be helped by examining the contrast between their runaway spending on pensions while skimping on military defense.
- Kerry arrives in Israel for cease-fire talks Ed Morrissey 18 minutes ago
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 9 hours ago
- Sally Kohn: How can Israel supporters argue the IDF’s violence is justified, but Hamas’ isn’t? Guy Benson 10 hours ago
- Most transparent administration ever closes Apollo 11 anniversary event to press Mary Katharine Ham 10 hours ago
- Chuck Schumer: What say we have fully open primaries from now on? Allahpundit 11 hours ago
- Univision anchor: No government should be in the business of deporting children Allahpundit 12 hours ago