For months, pundits and politicians have been saying that Americans have a math problem. They have a point, for Mr. Obama routinely champions the idea that running annual deficits in excess of $1 trillion dollars can be continued, simply by requiring Americans to pay $200 billion in taxes more each year. Anyone with a 3rd grade grasp of math has long ago come to the conclusion that even if Mr. Obama gets his way, huge annual deficits will remain, and the nation cannot sustain the current level of profligate spending indefinitely. Somehow, contrary to all known mathematics principles, and contrary to...
Ms Doan is prattling nonsense when she says that if a trillion in one context is "draconian," it must be "draconian" in all contexts. Example: When I was a kid, a dollar was BIG MONEY. When one's allowance was 50 cents a week, a dollar was two weeks income, and thus big money. It isn't big money to me today, 50 years later. Similarly, if a federal program has a budget of a million and it's cut a million, that would be "draconian" -- total wipe out. If Obamacare has a budget of a trillion and a million is cut, that's no big deal. Doan is right in that the libs are dishonest when they make cuts sound huge and tax increases sound small, when the numbers are comparable. But her use of the John Stuart Mill quote is nonsense.
- Next co-host of “The View”: Meghan McCain? Allahpundit 6 hours ago
- ObamaCare premiums in MN heading for double-digit increases? Ed Morrissey 7 hours ago
- Finally: Obama nominated for his first Emmy Allahpundit 7 hours ago
- IRS employee suspended for urging taxpayers to ‘reelect President Obama’ Noah Rothman 8 hours ago
- TEMS Thursday: Duane Patterson, Shannon Goessling, Kurt Schlichter Ed Morrissey 8 hours ago
- Video: Unhinged pro-abortion protester knows little about human biology … or criminal law Ed Morrissey 9 hours ago