Toll roads are appealing to many on the right, because the fees don't look like taxes; motorists are charged for the voluntary action of driving on a specific road. Toll roads appear to be run by private entities, not the government. Also known as turnpikes, they are becoming an increasingly popular way to raise money to build roads, instead of increasing gas taxes which have traditionally paid for highways. Gas tax revenues only have about one-third the buying power they did a decade ago, insufficient to build new roads or maintain existing ones. There are now 5,244 miles of toll roads...
A very poorly researched article, and at times disingenuous or even dishonest. Current toll roads are NOT libertarian. A government-owned toll road is double taxation, and libertarians oppose taxes by force. Always. A true toll road would be privately owned. And yes, fines would be imposed for "stealing" use of the road, and violators can and should be publicly shamed into paying. Decrying toll roads because the way the government runs them today is as silly as saying we need more gun laws because the gun laws today "aren't working". Private toll roads are as simple as pipeline rights of way: the owners of the pipe negotiate in good faith with the owners of the property and cover the costs to build and maintain.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 7 hours ago
- Video: Nothing to see here: Obama is “Faithfully executing the laws” Jazz Shaw 8 hours ago
- Congressman Bob Goodlattte assures us that there is no impeachment in the offing Jazz Shaw 10 hours ago
- The border crisis isn’t Obama’s Katrina – it’s worse Noah Rothman 11 hours ago
- Uh oh: Moscow claims Ukraine attack inside Russian territory killed civilians Noah Rothman 13 hours ago
- The Lerner Files: “smidgens upon smidgens” of corruption Jazz Shaw 14 hours ago