The magic bullet that achieved this authentic reform was requiring able-bodied adults to work or at least prepare for work, as a condition of receiving taxpayer handouts. This requirement imposed on welfare recipients was not only good for the taxpayers, but it was also good for the recipients because it put them on the path to self-sufficiency and...
Your comment "regardless of the choice of support" is a joke. When a mother goes on welfare, there is no choice for the taxpayer. It no longer amazes me that promoters of this type of thinking are so cavalier about it. It disgusts me. There WAS a time when racking up bills and not paying them (a deadbeat) was considered a disgrace, same for growing a family and not supporting them.
President Obama on July 12 ended welfare reform, the crowning achievement of the Republican Congress of 1996. That reform succeeded in reducing the welfare rolls by almost half and was so popular with the American people that Bill Clinton felt compelled to sign it.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 8 hours ago
- U.S. to announce ground troops to Poland, says… Polish defense minister Mary Katharine Ham 8 hours ago
- Rand Paul to Harry Reid: Simmer down with the “domestic terrorist” rhetoric about Bundy’s supporters Allahpundit 10 hours ago
- Snowden: I asked Putin that softball question on surveillance to start a public debate in Russia Allahpundit 11 hours ago
- The Obama admin is delaying the Keystone XL review process through the election. Yes, again. Erika Johnsen 12 hours ago
- Rubio on immigration: I think Republicans have reached a point of “irreconcilable differences” with Obama Allahpundit 13 hours ago