The magic bullet that achieved this authentic reform was requiring able-bodied adults to work or at least prepare for work, as a condition of receiving taxpayer handouts. This requirement imposed on welfare recipients was not only good for the taxpayers, but it was also good for the recipients because it put them on the path to self-sufficiency and...
Your comment "regardless of the choice of support" is a joke. When a mother goes on welfare, there is no choice for the taxpayer. It no longer amazes me that promoters of this type of thinking are so cavalier about it. It disgusts me. There WAS a time when racking up bills and not paying them (a deadbeat) was considered a disgrace, same for growing a family and not supporting them.
President Obama on July 12 ended welfare reform, the crowning achievement of the Republican Congress of 1996. That reform succeeded in reducing the welfare rolls by almost half and was so popular with the American people that Bill Clinton felt compelled to sign it.
- Friday night document dump: Yet another “accommodation” on HHS mandate Ed Morrissey 28 mins ago
- Teachers unions angry with Obama staff “sellouts” Jazz Shaw 1 hour ago
- Elite northeastern college town very worried about becoming Ferguson Jazz Shaw 3 hours ago
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 15 hours ago
- Last straw: ObamaCare now ruining baseball Mary Katharine Ham 16 hours ago
- US reconfirms policy of not paying ransoms to terrorists for abducted Americans Ed Morrissey 17 hours ago