The magic bullet that achieved this authentic reform was requiring able-bodied adults to work or at least prepare for work, as a condition of receiving taxpayer handouts. This requirement imposed on welfare recipients was not only good for the taxpayers, but it was also good for the recipients because it put them on the path to self-sufficiency and...
Your comment "regardless of the choice of support" is a joke. When a mother goes on welfare, there is no choice for the taxpayer. It no longer amazes me that promoters of this type of thinking are so cavalier about it. It disgusts me. There WAS a time when racking up bills and not paying them (a deadbeat) was considered a disgrace, same for growing a family and not supporting them.
President Obama on July 12 ended welfare reform, the crowning achievement of the Republican Congress of 1996. That reform succeeded in reducing the welfare rolls by almost half and was so popular with the American people that Bill Clinton felt compelled to sign it.
- Polls show Israel in lockstep with Netanyahu on Gaza war Ed Morrissey 18 minutes ago
- Constitutional law professor on separation of powers: “Stop hatin’ all the time” Allahpundit 58 minutes ago
- Video: A huge executive amnesty for illegals would be a big mistake, says … Ed Schultz? Allahpundit 1 hour ago
- Grimes: Iron Dome really helps defend against the tunnels, or something Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- Is the world giving up on a two-state solution? Noah Rothman 2 hours ago
- Are the culture wars really just about sex? Ed Morrissey 3 hours ago