The white smoke and ringing bells announced to the world that the cardinal electors had chosen a new pope, and about an hour later, Jorge Cardinal Bergoglio took St. Peter's balcony as Pope Francis I. He has the distinction of being the first pope from the Americas, as he is an Argentinian of Italian descent. He formerly served as the head of the Jesuit order, as well as Archbishop of Buenos Aires, and is currently 75 years old. Pope John Paul II named him a cardinal. He is said to be known for his humility and devotion to simplicity, which...
In response to:
Katie, It's sad that you think this is a great day....as to the title and the implication of it: Interesting, since Peter didn't have a throne, but a cross.....and he never took the title of Vicar of Christ or....Anti-Christ. Ah, the worship of man! and don't say it isn't worship....look at all the pomp and pompousness of the ceremony and the exaltation of a guy on the back nine who might last a decade, if that. Seriously, this is one of many sad displays of the apostate RCC.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 8 hours ago
- On notice: Mitch McConnell is ready to “crush” the Tea Party Jazz Shaw 9 hours ago
- Noonan on latest ObamaCare delay: Is there even an ObamaCare law anymore? Erika Johnsen 11 hours ago
- Video: Gates sees defense cuts as showing a lack of seriousness by US Jazz Shaw 12 hours ago
- CPAC: Fred Thompson and Persecuted Ed Morrissey 14 hours ago
- WH: Hey, Obama golfing in Key Largo during this crisis is the same as if he were in DC, only warmer Jazz Shaw 15 hours ago