There were many factors that hurt Mitt Romney and favored Barack Obama in the 2012 presidential election. The Democrats portrayed Romney in the worst light possible; as a wealthy, out of touch millionaire who wanted to return women to the 1800's. The left wing media predictably did everything it could to perpetuate that false caricature. Obama's race was an advantage; voters of all persuasions, particularly minorities, still cannot get over the allure of the first black president. The 47% of Americans on welfare were predisposed to vote for the food stamp president over Romney, wanting the free goodies to keep...
In response to:
Liberals are utilitarians in ethics, while conservatives are traditionalists. By their lights, liberals are behaving ethically if the goals they are advancing are (in their eyes) beneficial. If they played fair and lost, that to them would be unethical behavior. One giveaway is that, depending on the occasion and the particular goal, liberals will use contradictory arguments (because, to them, the truth of the argument is irrelevant: it's merely a means to an end). For example, on abortion they borrow the libertarian argument that "the government must not interfere between a woman and her doctor" -- and then turn around and ban silicone breast implants!
- Video: UK takes steps to keep British jihadists from returning Ed Morrissey 58 mins ago
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 12 hours ago
- Hensarling: It’s time to end the Ex-Im Bank Ed Morrissey 14 hours ago
- Got room for one more crisis? In Pakistan, protesters threaten government’s stability Noah Rothman 16 hours ago
- Engel: Military officials “apoplectic” over Obama’s “no-strategy” comment Ed Morrissey 18 hours ago
- The Democratic revolt continues: Key senator calls for Obama to arm Ukraine Noah Rothman 20 hours ago