It's true that the "good old days" weren't always good, but we should also remember that our belief that we're completely superior to previous generations of Americans doesn't even remotely square with reality. It's fine to pat ourselves on the back for being wealthier, more educated and considerably less racist than we used to be, but we shouldn't lose sight of the fact that those less educated, backward people in their antiquated clothes were head and shoulders better than we are in a myriad of other ways. We should remember that the real problem isn't having a problem; it's having a...
I was thinking this morning, what steps have to be achieved if someone wants to destroy a great country? You have to destroy its value system by cheapening the popular culture; make language and meaning ambiguous and imprecise; make the belief in G-d or a higher power something that “intelligent, modern, sophisticated” people make fun of and abhor; take away the various holidays that have formed some kind of cultural cohesion and cause for celebration; lower the standards in education by teaching everything except the basics; make it something shameful to be rich or have more than others; take competition out and replace it with “cooperation” and group think rather than individual ambition; there are more, I’m sure – but it’s all happening
- Nudity, prudity, and double standards on cable television Ed Morrissey 34 minutes ago
- Funny or die: Obama pitches ObamaCare to Zach Galifianakis Allahpundit 1 hour ago
- Netanyahu: PA has to recognize Israel as a Jewish state Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- WaPo/ABC poll shows Obama underwater on Ukraine crisis, Russia Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- Feinstein: CIA snooped on secure Congressional network Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- Special election in FL-13 today: Jolly vs Sink Ed Morrissey 3 hours ago