It's a problem of his own making. He decided that beating up on illegal immigrants would boost his popularity among those suspicious that he was really a moderate Republican. In doing so, he injected an issue into the campaign that had largely fizzled -- and for good reason. Illegal immigration is down to historical lows -- primarily because the U.S. economy continues...
The fantasy that Hispanics will vote Republican if only we flood our nation with them is ridiculous. Try preaching tough on crime to a group prone to crime. Try telling them that they don't deserve special treatment for jobs or college seats. Tell the group most likely to use welfare that we will be cutting such programs. Try preaching family values to a group with illegitimacy at double the white rate. They are a disaster by any metric..... don't let them in!
If Mitt Romney is to have any chance of beating President Barack Obama in November, he must win a larger share of the Hispanic vote than current polls suggest he will. And he won't unless he solves his immigration problem.
- LA Senate poll: Landrieu stuck in the mid-40′s, undecideds strongly disapprove of Obama Guy Benson 40 mins ago
- Luis Gutierrez: I have a duty to protect America, which is why I can’t support a border security bill Allahpundit 1 hour ago
- Iowa’s Joni Ernst isn’t out yet: New poll shows her with a majority support Noah Rothman 2 hour ago
- Gates: No “hope of success” against ISIS without boots on the ground Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- Audio: Joe Biden being Joe Biden, Jewish outreach edition; Update: “Poor choice of words” Ed Morrissey 3 hours ago
- Benghazi hearings about to force the press to pay attention Noah Rothman 4 hours ago