"Next, Republicans have to figure out a way to attract more women and young people" The evidence is anecdotal but the logic is solid: Some women and, especially, young people who are fiscally conservative do not vote Republican because the Republican Party has let itself be defined by the conservatives who are social conservatives first and fiscal conservatives second. The fastest way to recruit new voters is ease up on (which doesn't mean abandon) the social issues and emphasize the fiscal issues. If social conservatives don't like that, they might consider that fiscal conservatives can stop funding that subsidizes questionable behaviors, and that without winning numbers, they are dooming us to socialism AND radical social liberalism.
Sen. Rand Paul's embrace of immigration reform this week shows just how far the GOP has come on this contentious issue since the election. Two years ago, the tea party's favorite senator was one of those Republicans wanting to deny citizenship to the children of illegal immigrants born in the U.S. Now, he's considering whether even their parents (and other illegal immigrants "who want to work and stay out of trouble") should become eligible for citizenship at some point. "If they want to become citizens, I'm open to debate as to what we do to move forward," he told reporters after...
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 9 hours ago
- Teamsters appeal to “Top Chef” for employment by threatening to bash in Padma Lakshmi’s face Mary Katharine Ham 10 hours ago
- Rick Perry: It’s entirely possible that ISIS has already crossed the southern border Allahpundit 11 hours ago
- “Today is a miraculous day”: Dr. Kent Brantly speaks after recovering from Ebola Allahpundit 11 hours ago
- YouGov poll: Most Americans, and most Democrats, do not wish Hillary had won in 2008 Allahpundit 12 hours ago
- Report: Obama’s Bergdahl swap violated the law Noah Rothman 13 hours ago