Who's Afraid of 'Rocky Mountain Heist'?

Stuart95 Wrote: Oct 17, 2014 4:23 PM
I'll bet if the Dems lose big in Colorado, they'll start an effort to repeal marijuana laws the day after the election.

Who's Afraid of 'Rocky Mountain Heist'?

Stuart95 Wrote: Oct 17, 2014 4:09 PM
He must; otherwise, the saying, "more money than God" wouldn't make sense, and we don't want that.

Who's Afraid of 'Rocky Mountain Heist'?

Stuart95 Wrote: Oct 17, 2014 4:05 PM
IMHO, Rand Paul is the only non-Democrat politician of national stature that would actually stop the bleeding. Even conservative favorites, such as Cruz, seem dedicated not to Constitutional government, but to go-along-to-get-along, DC-style professional politics. I'd love to see Rand Paul as president and somebody with a little more experience in the Washington sausage works - maybe Paul Ryan - for VP. Bring in Thomas Sowell as Constitution Godfather and you've got my vote. Ron Paul should have an office as Presidential Dad in case he's needed.

Who's Afraid of 'Rocky Mountain Heist'?

Stuart95 Wrote: Oct 17, 2014 2:46 PM
Perhaps they assume that the incidence of fraud is so low that's it's not worth the effort to patrol. But I assume that every illegal vote is cast for the slate I vote against, hence the first illegal vote cancels entirely my right to vote. That's not right.

Who's Afraid of 'Rocky Mountain Heist'?

Stuart95 Wrote: Oct 17, 2014 2:38 PM
I was being facetious, of course, but it is amazing how much New Wealth is finding its way into Democratic coffers. Despite the all-time-low opinion voters have of Democrats, the Democrats are still on target to raise more money for the midterms than the Republicans. Wit Democrats being the party of the 47%, where's all that money coming from? I don't blame the Democrats; I blame the non-Democrats, for blowing the opportunity - again - to present a principled vision of prosperity and Good Government to those in the country who wish to work for a goal. The current administration has a list of failures and scandals that grows daily, but you'd never know that there is an opposition party in this country.

Who's Afraid of 'Rocky Mountain Heist'?

Stuart95 Wrote: Oct 17, 2014 11:20 AM
This is off the subject, but you know what really grates on me about the Democrats constant attack on the Koch brothers? It's that the Koch brothers became billionaires by creating and selling stuff that people wanted to buy, everything from bulk chemicals to consumer goods. They have built wealth, and have a payroll of something like 60,000 people. Soros, on the other hand, made his billions with a fortunate gamble on currency hedges. While I do not begrudge his luck, his wealth did not result from his creating net wealth for society. I suspect that most of his employees are not creating wealth, but are tasked with undermining this nation's thundering capitalist success.

Who's Afraid of 'Rocky Mountain Heist'?

Stuart95 Wrote: Oct 17, 2014 10:32 AM
All my life I've heard that it is the Republicans who are the party of elitist, country-club fat-cats who buy elections and suppress the unwashed - and now you're telling me that it's the Democrats?
They might also neglect to mention that raising the minimum wage makes it more and more attractive for qualified, experienced retirees, stay-at-home moms, underemployed people in other industries, etc. to compete for the same jobs sought by the raise-the-minimum-wage crowd. Those higher-minimum-wage jobs will also be more attractive to people a little farther up the ladder, too: almost as much money for an easier, indoor job.
I think it subconscious for most liberals. As the eminent social observers Simon and Garfunkel said, "still, a man hears what he wants to hear, and disregards the rest".
Some liberals, such as Bill Clinton or Paul Krugman, certainly are smart enough to know the truth about minimum wages. But those guys would not be worshiped as liberal icons, and make lots of money, if they chose truth over cynicism. So they keep telling an adoring public what it wants to hear; feeding the hopes of the gullible. Other liberals, though, define themselves as champions of the little guy, superior in intellect and moral compass. If they entertain the notion that they are wrong about minimum wages, what else might they be wrong about? Welfare? Foreign aid? Taxation? Public education? Health care? Capitalism? The truth about minimum wages is so devastating to the psyche of these liberals that they cannot face it. So they treat the truth as if it doesn't exist, instead clinging to any shred of evidence that supports their view of themselves.

Crumbling Constitution

Stuart95 Wrote: Oct 15, 2014 2:49 PM
About eight minutes after the Supremes more or less gave the go-ahead to gay marriage last week, Cruz said he was going to propose an amendment to the Constitution outlawing gay marriage. That makes me wonder about Cruz's sense of priorities, and sense of government reach. I still think R Paul may be the best bet to actually reverse the direction of the federal government - whether or not he's ready for prime time, I don't know.