Previous 11 - 20 Next
Selfishness is not a bad thing in general - self-interest makes people predictable in an Adam-Smith sort of way.
The only thing that will work is a groundswell of non-Democrats that so frighten the Republicans that they actually are forced to present some new ideas lest they start losing elections again. It would take 5m - 10m people signing a pledge to not vote Republican without a larger party reform. I'll sign today. Until the restless non-Democrats, non-RINOs find a leader soon, we will be remain in the ditch.
In response to:

America, You’ve Been Grubered!

Stuart95 Wrote: Nov 24, 2014 10:38 AM
Agreed; Gruber is a symptom rather than a cause. Whether or not Republicans will use this once-in-a-lifetime bounty of lies, failures, creeps, and scandals to fundamentally change Washington remains to be seen. I'm not holding my breath.
Too few people understand the concept that not all men are wise and virtuous, and sooner or later the unwise and unvirtuous find a natural refuge in government. It follows that the only way to protect those busy raising families and creating wealth is a permanent restriction on the size and reach of government. The Founding Fathers went to the trouble of building that concept into the Constitution, but unwise and unvirtuous men have been busily undoing the Constitution since it was written, but moreso recently. I cannot remember having a bigger basket of current, flagrant examples of government over-reach. I hope the libertarians dig in and force the Republicans to truly become the party of small government.
"a full 56% of Americans agree with this statement: “The economic and political systems in the country are stacked against people like me.”" The remaining 44% consists of low-information voters and those that are net winners under the status quo. I wonder if we will ever have a political leader with the will and the strength to significantly reduce the size of the federal government.
In response to:

A Magic Pen And An Empty Suit

Stuart95 Wrote: Nov 23, 2014 11:14 PM
I think we all know that the Senate majority is not official until January, but that is no excuse for the R leadership to sit around doing nothing. Boehner and McConnell had plenty of power, including a battle of words, but they choose to do nothing of substance. My mind is made up because of the fact that R leadership has let Obama and Reid run roughshod over the Constitution, and get away with no penalty.
In response to:

A Magic Pen And An Empty Suit

Stuart95 Wrote: Nov 23, 2014 8:05 PM
With the House in Senate firmly in control, Republican leaders could begin flanking Obama immediately. But I don't think Boehner and McConnell will do anything more than pay lip service to reform. They've been inert for six years; why would they risk the status quo? If things stay the same, they keep their cushy positions of power and fame. If they rock the boat, they risk everything.
In response to:

GOP Cowards

Stuart95 Wrote: Nov 23, 2014 8:01 PM
Don't sit the election out; vote for the third-party candidate that best represents your values. If the R's nominate another RINO like Romney or Jeb Bush, I'm voting libertarian. Throwing the election to the Democrats? Don't care; this political rope-a-dope has gone on long enough, leaving me with depleted money and freedom with each cycle. In the meantime, I'll be pulling for Rand Paul for party leader - he's the only one who has stated his principles (which I find quite acceptable) and has a record of sticking to them. Maybe there are other acceptable R's yet to come forward (Scott Walker is the hope of many; I find Cruz an overeager Tea Party puppet), but I'm not voting for a Dole-McCain-Bush-Romney clone again.
Lerner is a symptom, not a problem. Her value is in turning public attention the ridiculous, growth-killing, soul-sapping, crony-favoring tax code and its inevitable spawn: a corrupt bureaucracy (the IRS). Fix the tax code, and symptoms like Lerner and the IRS go away.
In response to:

What Should The GOP Do About Obamacare?

Stuart95 Wrote: Nov 22, 2014 12:48 PM
See my Step 1. But the problem of what to do about indigent health care remains a priority for our society.
Perhaps, but I share his view of the process as being a perverted game.
Previous 11 - 20 Next