For those who are not well-versed in the language of sociology, ethnocentrism refers to the tendency to judge other cultures by the standards of one’s own culture. Since this is a natural human tendency, the task of fostering anti-ethnocentrism is difficult, to say the least. But it is also self-defeating....
DHE, regarding your comments, anti-ethnocentrism establishes the absolutes, do not judge others and the study of other groups must be value neutral being two big absolutes driving the concept. What you propose, the inclusion of values (which I believe is completely unavoidable, the point of Mike's article), is antithetical to anti-ethnocentrism. Also, if you have X and Not-X, you have two mutually exclusive groups by definition.
Ethnocentrism is under-rated. Most college students are exposed to the concept only if they take a course in Introductory Sociology or if they should chose to major in sociology. Even then, the concept of ethnocentrism is presented as an evil to be extinguished by fostering the value of anti-ethnocentrism.
- ObamaCare subsidies funding abortion coverage: GAO Ed Morrissey 41 mins ago
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 10 hours ago
- Super: NASA’s asteroid avoidance program is on par with the rest of the federal government Mary Katharine Ham 10 hours ago
- Adrian Peterson: “I am, without a doubt, not a child abuser.” Jazz Shaw 11 hours ago
- Video: Florida mom arrested, charged with child neglect for letting her seven-year-old have a sip of whiskey Allahpundit 12 hours ago
- Officer in Daniele Watts handcuff incident was responding to a call Jazz Shaw 12 hours ago