For those who are not well-versed in the language of sociology, ethnocentrism refers to the tendency to judge other cultures by the standards of one’s own culture. Since this is a natural human tendency, the task of fostering anti-ethnocentrism is difficult, to say the least. But it is also self-defeating....
Taken to its fullest logic, yes. Somehow, at sometime, a significant segment of sociologists forgot that their discipline is a problem-solving discipline and turned it into a problem-ignoring exercise.
Ethnocentrism is under-rated. Most college students are exposed to the concept only if they take a course in Introductory Sociology or if they should chose to major in sociology. Even then, the concept of ethnocentrism is presented as an evil to be extinguished by fostering the value of anti-ethnocentrism.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 9 hours ago
- This HHS official’s resignation letter says everything you’ve ever thought about bureaucracy Mary Katharine Ham 10 hours ago
- Venezuelan official: John Kerry is a “murderer” and these protests are pretty much all his fault Erika Johnsen 10 hours ago
- Sarah Palin to launch “Rogue TV” Allahpundit 11 hours ago
- Jay Carney leaving the White House? Allahpundit 12 hours ago
- Ramirez on Attkisson’s departure Ed Morrissey 12 hours ago