Look Her in the Eye

stout77 Wrote: Apr 28, 2014 3:40 PM
Anom - I've been very consistent. Just because I don't think every issue is cut and dried, black or white, does not mean I am inconsistent. In cases of rape, there are quite obviously a few dynamics that are different than if someone is just being irresponsible and using abortion as birth control.

Look Her in the Eye

stout77 Wrote: Apr 28, 2014 3:20 PM
Anom - where have I been inconsistent?

Look Her in the Eye

stout77 Wrote: Apr 28, 2014 2:51 PM
Anom - faulty premise - I don't consider a morning-after pill to be murder, and neither does the law.

Look Her in the Eye

stout77 Wrote: Apr 28, 2014 2:47 PM
If a woman takes a morning-after pill after being raped, that is in a different universe than my definition of "murder". In fact, I would say the person who arrests this woman and puts her in jail has done far worse from a moral standpoint.

Look Her in the Eye

stout77 Wrote: Apr 28, 2014 2:35 PM
Lemon, I think you have more courage than you realize, and certainly more than most of us, which is why I foresee big problems with the enforcement of a law forcing women to have a child in the case of rape.

Look Her in the Eye

stout77 Wrote: Apr 28, 2014 2:25 PM
Alive - Help, certainly. You have probably just brought up the best solution to a very dicey problem. Make sure they know help exists, make sure they know the ramifications of their decision, make sure the resources are available to help in the event she decides not to abort, but I believe ultimately the decision in the case of rape has to be hers, not mine or yours. I just can't imagine holding a rape victim at gunpoint at her bedside until she has the baby.

Look Her in the Eye

stout77 Wrote: Apr 28, 2014 2:09 PM
lemon, you are a very courageous woman and I can't fathom what you must have gone through. However, I just don't think we can expect every woman in a similar situation to exhibit the same level of courage. I am a male, but I would imagine that carrying a rapist's baby to full term might destroy women of lesser fiber than yours. Kudos to you for doing the morally right thing.

Look Her in the Eye

stout77 Wrote: Apr 28, 2014 1:44 PM
Darby, I appreciate where you're coming from but you didn't answer the question.

Look Her in the Eye

stout77 Wrote: Apr 28, 2014 1:42 PM
I was answering Anominus' question specifically. I agree with you on a personal level, but still can't get anyone to explain to me what enforcement would look like. I simply cannot imagine it being my job to round up all the rape victims who have terminated their pregnancies and haul them off to jail.

Look Her in the Eye

stout77 Wrote: Apr 28, 2014 1:34 PM
Abortion is legal - judges permit it all the time without any crime having been committed. What would your idea of enforcement look like? Will you volunteer to slap the cuffs on a rape victim if she decides to terminate the pregnancy?