I will go along with the original meaning of *rule of thumb* if you will lay down your hypocrisy and agree that the original meaning of *endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights* should not change either. Oh, and by the way, "the expression *rule of thumb* has been recorded since 1692 and probably wasn’t new then. It meant then what it means now — some method or procedure that comes from practice or experience, without any formal basis." The State Department really should not be using Sharon Fenick's 1996 newsgroup posting on urban myths as their source; mine at World Wide Words is far more reliable.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 5 hours ago
- Video: Shep vs. Earnest Mary Katharine Ham 5 hours ago
- In New York City, a safety regulation makes the streets less safe Mary Katharine Ham 6 hours ago
- Federal investigators find no connection between Christie and Bridgegate Ed Morrissey 7 hours ago
- Boehner: You know what would help our economy? Immigration reform Allahpundit 7 hours ago
- White House: It’s not combat, but US troops will return fire if they’re shot at… Noah Rothman 8 hours ago