I will go along with the original meaning of *rule of thumb* if you will lay down your hypocrisy and agree that the original meaning of *endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights* should not change either. Oh, and by the way, "the expression *rule of thumb* has been recorded since 1692 and probably wasn’t new then. It meant then what it means now — some method or procedure that comes from practice or experience, without any formal basis." The State Department really should not be using Sharon Fenick's 1996 newsgroup posting on urban myths as their source; mine at World Wide Words is far more reliable.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 3 hours ago
- Enjoy Sec. Donald Rumsfeld’s Tax Day letter to the IRS Mary Katharine Ham 3 hours ago
- Is the wind lobby’s most precious subsidy finally losing steam in Congress? Erika Johnsen 4 hours ago
- “Russia has not invaded Ukraine,” and other great moments in Russian propaganda Erika Johnsen 5 hours ago
- Video: Trump to buy the Buffalo Bills? Ed Morrissey 5 hours ago
- Rand Paul: Let’s get this straight — I’m not for containing Iran Allahpundit 6 hours ago