As Obama stood next to the world's most recognized democracy icon, he mispronounced her name repeatedly. Ever gracious, Suu Kyi did not correct her American guest for calling her Aung YAN Suu Kyi multiple times during his statement to reporters after their meeting. Proper pronunciation for the Nobel laureate's name is Ahng Sahn Soo Chee. The meeting came after Obama met with Myanmar's reformist new President Thein Sein - a name he also botched. As the two addressed the media, Obama called his counterpart "President Sein," an awkward,...
More important than a few gaffes is the fact that Burma is no longer the military dictatorship it was from 1962 until March 2011. Rather than celebrating this change or supporting Pres. Obama's historic visit and his call for greater human rights in the country, Benson just makes it another anti-Obama hit piece. The election is over, Guy.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 10 hours ago
- Video: Nothing to see here: Obama is “Faithfully executing the laws” Jazz Shaw 11 hours ago
- Congressman Bob Goodlattte assures us that there is no impeachment in the offing Jazz Shaw 13 hours ago
- The border crisis isn’t Obama’s Katrina – it’s worse Noah Rothman 14 hours ago
- Uh oh: Moscow claims Ukraine attack inside Russian territory killed civilians Noah Rothman 16 hours ago
- The Lerner Files: “smidgens upon smidgens” of corruption Jazz Shaw 17 hours ago