Those who talk glibly about redistribution often act as if people are just inert objects that can be placed here and there, like pieces on a chess board, to carry out some grand design. But if human beings have their own responses to government policies,...
The unions were probably the single biggest impediment to the advancement of African-Americans prior to the 1960s. It was the unions that banned black workers or limited how high they could rise. Ever heard of the Scalers Union, it was the black union at certain shipyards for the lowest level jobs. Most immigrants who arrived poor worked their way up through the union trades, with some going on to start their own companies. The unions effectively blocked that path for blacks.
The recently discovered tape on which Barack Obama said back in 1998 that he believes in redistribution is not really news. He said the same thing to Joe the Plumber four years ago. But the surfacing of this tape may serve a useful purpose if it gets people to thinking about what the consequences of redistribution are.
- U.S. had Assad’s cooperation during strikes on targets in Syria Noah Rothman 20 mins ago
- Open thread: War president to address nation after targeting ISIS, Khorasan in Syria Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- Yemen’s capital under near total control of Shiite rebels following bloody offensive Noah Rothman 1 hour ago
- US hits Khorasan group in air strikes on Syria Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 11 hours ago
- Breaking: Pentagon reports first airstrikes in Syria; Update: Coalition Arab countries added Mary Katharine Ham 12 hours ago