But the first paragraph refutes the headline: "Allowing income tax rates to rise for wealthy Americans would not hurt U.S. economic growth much (emphasis added) in 2013 ..." The CBO did not say, as the headline suggests, that raising taxes on the rich has no negative economic effect. In fact, the CBO actually said that extending the Bush-era rates for all would increase economic growth by 1.5 percent. If, however, the Bush era rates expired for the rich -- but...
Will raising taxes on the rich bring about a net increase in revenue? You get $34B more from the rich, but those 700,000 formerly employed that are now out of work will not only be paying less income tax they'll be on the dole.
Consider this headline from a Reuters article in The Huffington Post: "Raising Taxes on Rich Won't Hurt Economic Growth, CBO Says."
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 1 hour ago
- Of course: 2014 Obama’s position on Ex-Im Bank is the opposite of 2008 Obama’s Mary Katharine Ham 1 hour ago
- Wes Clark: Clinton had an opportunity to go in on the ground to get Bin Laden but it was “a lot of logistics” Allahpundit 2 hours ago
- I guess we need to talk about Joe Biden skinny dipping, huh? Allahpundit 3 hours ago
- Obama: This congressional deadlock on immigration means “I’m going to have to act alone” Allahpundit 3 hours ago
- TEMS Friday: Guest hosting the Hugh Hewitt Show Ed Morrissey 3 hours ago