But the first paragraph refutes the headline: "Allowing income tax rates to rise for wealthy Americans would not hurt U.S. economic growth much (emphasis added) in 2013 ..." The CBO did not say, as the headline suggests, that raising taxes on the rich has no negative economic effect. In fact, the CBO actually said that extending the Bush-era rates for all would increase economic growth by 1.5 percent. If, however, the Bush era rates expired for the rich -- but...
Will raising taxes on the rich bring about a net increase in revenue? You get $34B more from the rich, but those 700,000 formerly employed that are now out of work will not only be paying less income tax they'll be on the dole.
Consider this headline from a Reuters article in The Huffington Post: "Raising Taxes on Rich Won't Hurt Economic Growth, CBO Says."
- NYT poll: 65% of whites, 80% of whites say police shouldn’t have military-style weapons Allahpundit 29 mins ago
- In effort to shield Obama from criticism on ISIS, White House makes everything worse Noah Rothman 1 hour ago
- Video: Mitt Romney takes the ALS Ice Bucket challenge Allahpundit 1 hour ago
- A Christian conundrum in conservative rhetoric? Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- Sanitizing terror: Has the press distorted Islamic radical’s crusade against gay men? Noah Rothman 3 hours ago
- Family friend tells WaPo: Yes, Darren Wilson did suffer an eye socket fracture Allahpundit 3 hours ago