1 - 9

Libertarians Versus Conservatives

Steve1195 Wrote: Jun 11, 2014 8:56 AM
Mr. Stossel, You say that both libertarians and conservatives want to keep America safe, but that you differ on how to do it. You go on to disagree with how a conservative, Bolton, would go about keeping us safe. But I see no suggestions from you, the libertarian, as to how you would keep us safe. So, how do libertarians propose to do it?

Reid Has Become a McCarthy for our Time

Steve1195 Wrote: Apr 24, 2014 9:09 AM
Mr. Hanson, Your portrayal of McCarthy, while in line with conventional wisdom, displays a rather astonishing ignorance. For example, while the "no sense of decency" moment is the best remembered line from the hearings, it was nothing more than misleading theatrics on the part of Joseph Welch. He was castigating McCarthy for supposedly outing Fred Fisher (a Welch assistant) as a former member of the National Lawyers Guild. But Welch himself had told the New York Times about Fisher's membership in the Guild six weeks before his "no sense of decency" dramatics. You are also badly misinformed about the 205 vs. 57 names controversy. In short, you really ought to do some research on McCarthy rather than parrot the standard treatment of him.

Obamacare’s Unsung Hero

Steve1195 Wrote: Jan 17, 2014 9:11 AM
What utter hogwash. Roberts' decision not only rewrote the law (not his job), it also enshrined a new concept of the government's taxing power: inactivity can now be a taxable event. Even if we accept the ludicrous assumption that Roberts was clever enough to issue his ruling so that Americans could have a national debate on Obamacare and perhaps to improve Republican prospects in future elections, the fact remains that a Justice is not supposed to make decisions on such bases. He is supposed to uphold the Constitution. Dunn's own argument makes clear that Roberts failed to follow the oath he took upon becoming a Justice. I can't recall ever reading a more logically twisted defense of Roberts.

Equality Versus Liberty

Steve1195 Wrote: Jan 08, 2014 9:04 AM
Milton Friedman..."A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Majority Rules on Climate Science?

Steve1195 Wrote: Dec 05, 2013 7:57 PM
The "97% of scientists" claim tweeted by Obama is based on a study which has been thoroughly debunked, not that he cares. Climate Depot is a good source to discover how the study's authors fabricated the 97%.

How to Win the Assisted-Suicide Debate

Steve1195 Wrote: Nov 26, 2013 4:20 PM
Trude, I agree completely that no doctor should be forced to assist me should I decide it's time to go. I really don't even want much assistance. Just give me a pill and I'll take it from there. Both my parents would gladly have taken that pill and been grateful for it.

How to Win the Assisted-Suicide Debate

Steve1195 Wrote: Nov 26, 2013 4:03 PM
Darby, I am non-religious, and I'm not trying to force my views on anyone. Yet you would apparently have society prevent me from deciding to end my life based on your religious views. Who is forcing whom? Moreover, I assume you grasp the difference between a humane society and the Humane Society, and you were attempting to be clever. Otherwise, your argument doesn't even rise to the level of sophistry.

How to Win the Assisted-Suicide Debate

Steve1195 Wrote: Nov 26, 2013 9:16 AM
I agree that I don't want a society in which one group decides when others should die. However, I do want a society in which I can choose to die and do so simply and with dignity. My mother recently took her own life at 92 because she could see what was coming and wanted no part of it. She had to take pills and booze and it took 18 hours till she died. A humane society would allow people like my mother to take one pill that acts quickly. Two years ago my father died a horrible death from cancer. Again, a humane society would not insist that his only option was pain relief, which stopped working. Unlike Adams, I don't wish death to those who disagree with me. I just want them to mind their own business.

"[Obama] Doesn’t Know His History”

Steve1195 Wrote: Oct 14, 2013 4:20 PM
Mr. Doherty, Why do you say that "default is rapidly approaching"? Federal tax revenues are more than ample to service bond payments. In 2014, those tax revenues are estimated to be $3 trillion. The cost of servicing publicly held debt is approximately $400 billion annually. In the coming year, by my reckoning that will leave about $2.6 trillion after servicing the debt. Of course, if interest rates start rising, the math changes, but there is still no reason for anyone to suggest that default is even imminent, much less inevitable.
1 - 9