The Bible has explicit commands against coveting - wanting something that is not yours and recognizes that our own property is ours to dispose of as we wish, even though "The earth is the Lord’s, and everything in it, the world, and all who live in it" (Psalm 24:1 and God owns ". . . the cattle on a thousand hills" (Psalm 50:11). Property rights are part of the rights "endowed by our Creator", and just as inviolate as freedom of religion, speech, peaceful assembly, redress of grievances against the government, etc.
Public misunderstanding, ignorance and possibly contempt for liberty play into the hands of people who want to control our lives. Responses to my recent column "Compliant Americans" brought this home to me. In it, I argued that the anti-tobacco movement became the template and inspiration for other forms of government intrusion, such as bans on restaurants serving foie gras, McDonald's giving Happy Meals with toys, and confiscating a child's home-prepared lunch because it didn't meet Department of Agriculture guidelines. A few responses read like this: "Smoking is different because that actually affects other people. We should be living by the notion...
- Scarborough: Obama saying he has no strategy against ISIS is a tactic straight out of “The Art of War” Allahpundit 40 mins ago
- Ed Henry goes there: Why is Obama fundraising after admitting he has no ISIS strategy? Noah Rothman 1 hour ago
- Change: Obama set to delay executive amnesty until after the midterms? Allahpundit 2 hour ago
- End of an era: Chelsea Clinton leaves NBC Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- Inside the collapse of Obama’s Syria ‘strategy’ Noah Rothman 3 hours ago
- Politico, WaPo, ABC: This “no strategy” comment will do serious damage Ed Morrissey 3 hours ago