And where was Barack Obama during this time? He was a member of that very Congress that passed all of these massive spending bills, and he signed the omnibus bill as President to complete 2009. If the Democrats inherited any deficit, it was the 2007 deficit, the last of the Republican budgets. That deficit was the lowest in five years, and the fourth straight decline in deficit spending. After that, Democrats in Congress took control of spending, and that includes Barack Obama, who voted for the budgets. If Obama inherited anything, he inherited it from himself. In a nutshell, what Obama is saying is -- I inherited a deficit that I voted for and then I voted to expand that deficit four-fold since January 20th. Please read starting below --
Stocks loved today’s jobs report, rising well over 200 points at this writing. But equities may be suffering from a certain irrational exuberance. Yes, nonfarm payrolls rose by 163,000 in July. That’s better than the prior two months and probably signals no double-dip recession -- at least for now.
But there are a lot of negatives in this report.
For one, the small-business household survey dropped 195,000. That’s what drove the unemployment rate up to 8.3 percent. These two factors virtually cancel out the better-than-expected rise in nonfarm payrolls.
By the way, the labor force shrunk...
Breaking on TOWNHALL
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 5 hours ago
- Report: Cruz coloring book selling like crazy Mary Katharine Ham 6 hours ago
- Video: Press corps flips out on Carney over restricted access Mary Katharine Ham 7 hours ago
- Hallelujah: Aversion to the Renewable Fuel Standard seems to be catching on in Congress Erika Johnsen 8 hours ago
- Chaos: HHS “asks” insurers to extend multiple ObamaCare deadlines Allahpundit 8 hours ago
- Congratulations, Barack Obama, on winning PolitiFact’s “Lie of the Year”! Allahpundit 9 hours ago