1 - 6

The President and 'Violent Extremism'

Stephen224 Wrote: Feb 24, 2015 12:25 PM
I was just in Rwanda and Burundi (mostly Burunudi) a few months ago. Burundi had a civil war with all the same circumstances as Rwanda, just as "Christian", just as bloody, same reasons, same tribes, just it lasted 15 years, so the deaths were spread out and not interesting to the press. Anyhow, 80-90 percent of these people may list themselves as Christians, but that obviously didn't mean anything. You either pick Christian or Muslim, but it hardly means your a follower of Christ. For a country that is supposedly so Christian, the market was jammed on Sunday mornings, much more than on other days, and not that many people in church. And it's not like going to church makes you a saint or even a Christian. That should be obvious enough just here in America. You only looked back 20 years by the way, try a hundred. Think Pol Pot, Moa, Stalin, and Hitler.

Common Core For All

Stephen224 Wrote: Oct 02, 2013 6:34 PM
As if we aren't an illiterate nation already.

Common Core For All

Stephen224 Wrote: Oct 02, 2013 6:34 PM
No, bust 'em! For the children's sake. Seriously.

Common Core For All

Stephen224 Wrote: Oct 02, 2013 6:33 PM
As a principal I have hired many teachers and interview many times more. I always looked for older teachers, and best of all people that already had success (not failure) at a previous career. The candidates I avoided the most were fresh out of college, especially if they only had a teaching degree, but unfortunately that was often all we had to go with. I always asked interviewees what there favorite subject was and the bright eyed grads always gave me a blank stare, they hadn't a clue, (this would be at the k-6 level). They had no real love of knowledge, they just liked the school environment. Some of these hires eventually turned out to be gifted teachers, but there was a lot of de-progamming and real education involved. My other question was tell me about WWII. All I got was holocaust and Japanese internment. In other words Germans bad, Americans bad. Nothing of a great American victory over evil, no saving the world from tyranny.

Common Core For All

Stephen224 Wrote: Oct 02, 2013 6:14 PM
So true, but another real problem is that modern education slows down the pace of learning so much. It is really theft of young people's childhood. There was a determined effort by the education establishment at the turn of the century (the previous century) to lengthen childhood and the amount of time spent in school. If you exam textbooks from the 1880's and earlier you'll see a sixth grade curriculum that would be very difficult for most college students. Kids spend so much time in the classroom these days I don't know how they learn anything.

Common Core For All

Stephen224 Wrote: Oct 02, 2013 6:09 PM
If you write the standards required, you have in effect written the curriculum. Many publishers could package it in many different fashions, but the effect is the same. No evidence? Well it was just anecdotal, but the writer did point out a couple examples, but frankly that Common Core is being pushed so hard by the education establishment pretty much clinches it.
1 - 6