Affordable housing and health care costs are terms with considerable emotional appeal that politicians exploit but have absolutely no useful meaning or analytical worth. For example, can anyone tell me in actual dollars and cents the price of an affordable car, house or myomectomy? It's probably more pleasant to pretend that there is universal agreement about what is or is...
Along the lines of Dr. Williams excellent explanation of "harm", my personal fingernails-on-the-chalkboard buzzword os "compassion." I wish someone who believes it is "compassionate" for the government to give something to a designated victim would explain exactly what emotion is exhibited toward the person from whom the money was forcibly taken....Dispassion? Indifference? Antipathy? Disrespect? Contempt? Hey, it’s the same money. If it represents compassion to its receiver it must represent something else to its provider.
It's difficult to be a good economist and simultaneously be perceived as compassionate. To be a good economist, one has to deal with reality. To appear compassionate, often one has to avoid unpleasant questions, use "caring" terminology and view reality as optional.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 4 hours ago
- This HHS official’s resignation letter says everything you’ve ever thought about bureaucracy Mary Katharine Ham 4 hours ago
- Venezuelan official: John Kerry is a “murderer” and these protests are pretty much all his fault Erika Johnsen 5 hours ago
- Sarah Palin to launch “Rogue TV” Allahpundit 6 hours ago
- Jay Carney leaving the White House? Allahpundit 6 hours ago
- Ramirez on Attkisson’s departure Ed Morrissey 6 hours ago