Affordable housing and health care costs are terms with considerable emotional appeal that politicians exploit but have absolutely no useful meaning or analytical worth. For example, can anyone tell me in actual dollars and cents the price of an affordable car, house or myomectomy? It's probably more pleasant to pretend that there is universal agreement about what is or is...
Along the lines of Dr. Williams excellent explanation of "harm", my personal fingernails-on-the-chalkboard buzzword os "compassion." I wish someone who believes it is "compassionate" for the government to give something to a designated victim would explain exactly what emotion is exhibited toward the person from whom the money was forcibly taken....Dispassion? Indifference? Antipathy? Disrespect? Contempt? Hey, it’s the same money. If it represents compassion to its receiver it must represent something else to its provider.
It's difficult to be a good economist and simultaneously be perceived as compassionate. To be a good economist, one has to deal with reality. To appear compassionate, often one has to avoid unpleasant questions, use "caring" terminology and view reality as optional.
- Video: Parents of fallen SEAL demand Obama resignation Ed Morrissey 30 mins ago
- Breaking: ISIS releases new video of beheading another American journalist Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- Politico sounds the alarm: Boehner may still have to listen to tea partiers after midterms Noah Rothman 1 hour ago
- Fox News: Obama briefed for more than a year on ISIS as serious threat Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- Poll: 63% oppose Obama’s executive order on amnesty Allahpundit 3 hours ago
- Ukraine ends offensive operations against rebels, digs in to repel Russian invasion Noah Rothman 3 hours ago