Those who want to discredit the United States and to deny our role as history’s most powerful and pre-eminent force for freedom, goodness and human dignity invariably focus on America’s bloody past as a slave-holding nation. Along with the displacement and mistreatment of Native Americans, the enslavement of literally millions of Africans counts as one of our two founding crimes—and an obvious rebuttal to any claims that this Republic truly represents “the land of the free and the home of the brave.” According to America-bashers at home and abroad, open-minded students of our history ought to feel more guilt than pride,...
In response to:
"Slaves" were captured by African tribes and sold to the Dutch, Portugese and English. If my memory serves correctly the Dutch brought slaves to Virginia on a disabled ship. Oddly enough, 2000 IRISH slaves arrived a few years later. Yes, there were "white slaves". They were the work of the Parlimenarians, and Cromwell in particular. Later, in hour history the levi system was consructed around the Mississippi delta - this work was done by the Irish because a slave cost $2000 and tyou could work an Irishman to death for 25 cents a day. Cromwell was a genocidal maniac who is always overlooked.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 8 hours ago
- Hensarling: It’s time to end the Ex-Im Bank Ed Morrissey 10 hours ago
- Got room for one more crisis? In Pakistan, protesters threaten government’s stability Noah Rothman 12 hours ago
- Engel: Military officials “apoplectic” over Obama’s “no-strategy” comment Ed Morrissey 14 hours ago
- The Democratic revolt continues: Key senator calls for Obama to arm Ukraine Noah Rothman 16 hours ago
- Nearly two years after Benghazi, American embassy in Libya’s capital falls to Islamists Noah Rothman 18 hours ago