The problem is not those immigrants who come here legally and who actually contribute to our society and tax coffers. The problem is with the ones who break the law and sponge off of the taxpayers. Their philosophy can be summed up in these lyrics from a Phil Collins song from the 80's: "Over the border, There lies the Promised Land, Where everything comes easy, You just hold out your hand."
On Wednesday evening former Secretary of State Condi Rice picked a fight with a large and vocal section of the Republican base, and I’m glad she did. This confrontation is long overdue. Zero-tolerance law-and-order rhetoric about the immigration issue has become the standard for talk radio and other conservative circles, and I think that this fact puts much of the conservative movement at odds with two of its most important foundations: a view of compassion derived from the Biblical tradition, and a commitment to economic freedom and limited government as an optimistic upward path to prosperity.
Here’s what she said:...
Breaking on TOWNHALL
- GAO investigation: Why, yes, the Healthcare.gov disaster was the result of terrible government management Allahpundit 48 minutes ago
- Rand Paul calls out MSNBC… on MSNBC Noah Rothman 1 hour ago
- Ted Cruz meeting with House conservatives to try to block Boehner’s border crisis bill Allahpundit 2 hours ago
- Liberal interventionists silent on ISIS’s medieval brutality Noah Rothman 2 hours ago
- U.S. sends subtle shot at the United Nations over complicity in Gaza violence Noah Rothman 3 hours ago
- Polls show Israel in lockstep with Netanyahu on Gaza war Ed Morrissey 4 hours ago