The problem is not those immigrants who come here legally and who actually contribute to our society and tax coffers. The problem is with the ones who break the law and sponge off of the taxpayers. Their philosophy can be summed up in these lyrics from a Phil Collins song from the 80's: "Over the border, There lies the Promised Land, Where everything comes easy, You just hold out your hand."
On Wednesday evening former Secretary of State Condi Rice picked a fight with a large and vocal section of the Republican base, and I’m glad she did. This confrontation is long overdue. Zero-tolerance law-and-order rhetoric about the immigration issue has become the standard for talk radio and other conservative circles, and I think that this fact puts much of the conservative movement at odds with two of its most important foundations: a view of compassion derived from the Biblical tradition, and a commitment to economic freedom and limited government as an optimistic upward path to prosperity.
Here’s what she said:...
- Subtle: Pro-Kay Hagan fliers warns GOP victory with lynching images Noah Rothman 7 mins ago
- Age of Enlightenment: NY university offering training for couples on how to break up Jazz Shaw 47 mins ago
- Michele Bachmann must be doing something right if ISIS is after her Jazz Shaw 1 hour ago
- The worst political ad ever? Or the most awesome? Jazz Shaw 2 hours ago
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 11 hours ago
- Video: Phoenix business owner foils bank robbery by waiting at get-away car with his gun Mary Katharine Ham 12 hours ago