What happened was that the Democrat party (NOT the Democratic party as is often said) decided they wanted an issue that would guarantee votes. Lyndon B. Johnson helped enormously when he created the welfare state. It was never meant to raise anyone out of poverty. Instead, it was designed to keep generations of (mostly) minority families in poverty. The way it was designed, it encouraged women to ignore husbands because they could get more money for their children and themselves if they dumped the idea of marriage. The Democrat party has done more damage to families in poverty than any other factor. Then, of course, there are those whose primary cause is to perpetuate something that was fa ding away naturally. I am referring to those race baiters in chief, Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton. The Civil Rights movement tried in vain to make a dent in the racial divide, but they were fighting an uphill battle. Left alone, I believe they might have succeeded.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 1 hour ago
- Video: Phoenix business owner foils bank robbery by waiting at get-away car with his gun Mary Katharine Ham 2 hours ago
- Obama: Hey, all these red-state Democrats running away from me are strong supporters who vote with me! Mary Katharine Ham 2 hours ago
- “Walking Dead” grumble thread: The ultimate gross-out Allahpundit 3 hours ago
- Scary news from MoveOn: If Republicans win the Senate, they might use a dubious procedure known as “reconciliation” Allahpundit 4 hours ago
- Should a minority elect an executive? Maine edition Jazz Shaw 5 hours ago