What happened was that the Democrat party (NOT the Democratic party as is often said) decided they wanted an issue that would guarantee votes. Lyndon B. Johnson helped enormously when he created the welfare state. It was never meant to raise anyone out of poverty. Instead, it was designed to keep generations of (mostly) minority families in poverty. The way it was designed, it encouraged women to ignore husbands because they could get more money for their children and themselves if they dumped the idea of marriage. The Democrat party has done more damage to families in poverty than any other factor. Then, of course, there are those whose primary cause is to perpetuate something that was fa ding away naturally. I am referring to those race baiters in chief, Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton. The Civil Rights movement tried in vain to make a dent in the racial divide, but they were fighting an uphill battle. Left alone, I believe they might have succeeded.
- New solution to border crisis: Send U.S. officials to Honduras to give kids refugee status? Allahpundit 6 hours ago
- Boehner accuses White House of sabotaging Veterans Affairs bill Noah Rothman 7 hours ago
- NFL suspends Ray Rice for two games in domestic-assault case Ed Morrissey 8 hours ago
- Great news from Hillary: The Russian reset worked Allahpundit 8 hours ago
- Thursday TEMS: Duane Patterson, Daniel Garza, Mike McFadden Ed Morrissey 8 hours ago
- FEC Chairman sounds alarm to Hot Air: There’s a ‘move afoot to constrict press freedoms’ Noah Rothman 9 hours ago