What happened was that the Democrat party (NOT the Democratic party as is often said) decided they wanted an issue that would guarantee votes. Lyndon B. Johnson helped enormously when he created the welfare state. It was never meant to raise anyone out of poverty. Instead, it was designed to keep generations of (mostly) minority families in poverty. The way it was designed, it encouraged women to ignore husbands because they could get more money for their children and themselves if they dumped the idea of marriage. The Democrat party has done more damage to families in poverty than any other factor. Then, of course, there are those whose primary cause is to perpetuate something that was fa ding away naturally. I am referring to those race baiters in chief, Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton. The Civil Rights movement tried in vain to make a dent in the racial divide, but they were fighting an uphill battle. Left alone, I believe they might have succeeded.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 2 hours ago
- Video: Shep vs. Earnest Mary Katharine Ham 3 hours ago
- In New York City, a safety regulation makes the streets less safe Mary Katharine Ham 4 hours ago
- Federal investigators find no connection between Christie and Bridgegate Ed Morrissey 4 hours ago
- Boehner: You know what would help our economy? Immigration reform Allahpundit 5 hours ago
- White House: It’s not combat, but US troops will return fire if they’re shot at… Noah Rothman 6 hours ago