What happened was that the Democrat party (NOT the Democratic party as is often said) decided they wanted an issue that would guarantee votes. Lyndon B. Johnson helped enormously when he created the welfare state. It was never meant to raise anyone out of poverty. Instead, it was designed to keep generations of (mostly) minority families in poverty. The way it was designed, it encouraged women to ignore husbands because they could get more money for their children and themselves if they dumped the idea of marriage. The Democrat party has done more damage to families in poverty than any other factor. Then, of course, there are those whose primary cause is to perpetuate something that was fa ding away naturally. I am referring to those race baiters in chief, Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton. The Civil Rights movement tried in vain to make a dent in the racial divide, but they were fighting an uphill battle. Left alone, I believe they might have succeeded.
- Democrats go after Republican for self-defense measure he took…14 years ago Matt Vespa 27 mins ago
- Rubio: If I had to vote again on my Gang of Eight immigration bill, I’d vote no Allahpundit 1 hour ago
- Obama lets another red line lapse in Ukraine, and the consequences will be dire Noah Rothman 1 hour ago
- Heartache for lefties: Elizabeth Warren defends Israel at Massachusetts town hall Allahpundit 2 hours ago
- ISIL is busy building a capital in Syria while Obama dithers Gabriel Malor 3 hours ago
- Alison Lundergan Grimes channels Patches O’Houlihan on campaign trail Matt Vespa 3 hours ago