You will invariably hear over the coming weeks that our politics are broken because these damned Republicans refuse to compromise on anything. This narrative, to put it bluntly, is a lie. John Boehner reportedly offered hundreds of billions of dollars in new revenues during debt deal negotiations last summer (only to have Obama pull the rug out from under him), as did the GOP contingent on the 'Super Committee.' Democrats shut down that plan, too, then refused to offer a single unified counter-proposal. Sensing that they've backed their opponents into a corner in this dispute, liberals are aggressively...
In response to:
But why should the Democrats negotiate in good faith? If we roll off the fiscal cliff, they get pretty much every thing they truly want (higher tax rates, deep cuts in defense, etc) while blaming the Republicans for failure to compromise. Never mind that the Democrat's definition of "compromise" is the same as most people's definition of "surrender"...
- Obama: I don’t watch the news because I usually already know the stuff they’re reporting Allahpundit 38 minutes ago
- Perdue grabs surprise runoff victory over Kingston in Georgia Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- Putin signals total disregard for the West as rebels take down two more Ukrainian planes Noah Rothman 1 hour ago
- US intel: MH17 missile an SA-11 fired from eastern Ukraine Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- White House giving up fight over Obamacare’s contraception mandate? Noah Rothman 3 hours ago
- Kerry arrives in Israel for cease-fire talks Ed Morrissey 3 hours ago