You will invariably hear over the coming weeks that our politics are broken because these damned Republicans refuse to compromise on anything. This narrative, to put it bluntly, is a lie. John Boehner reportedly offered hundreds of billions of dollars in new revenues during debt deal negotiations last summer (only to have Obama pull the rug out from under him), as did the GOP contingent on the 'Super Committee.' Democrats shut down that plan, too, then refused to offer a single unified counter-proposal. Sensing that they've backed their opponents into a corner in this dispute, liberals are aggressively...
In response to:
But why should the Democrats negotiate in good faith? If we roll off the fiscal cliff, they get pretty much every thing they truly want (higher tax rates, deep cuts in defense, etc) while blaming the Republicans for failure to compromise. Never mind that the Democrat's definition of "compromise" is the same as most people's definition of "surrender"...
- Journalist quits Ferguson after denouncing the media’s behavior Noah Rothman 30 mins ago
- Ben Rhodes: We won’t necessarily limit our airstrikes against ISIS to Iraq Allahpundit 1 hour ago
- CNN source: Darren Wilson didn’t suffer an eye socket fracture Allahpundit 1 hour ago
- Israel takes out three top Hamas commanders after cease-fire violation Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- Scarborough: Golfing after that statement on ISIS shows terrorists that Obama’s one cold bastard Allahpundit 3 hours ago
- Thursday TEMS: Duane Patterson, Sen. Rob Portman, Michael Caspino Ed Morrissey 3 hours ago