Today, Texas Republicans will choose their party's nominee to compete for the United States Senate seat being vacated by reitiring Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison. The contest has attracted a great deal of media attention because of the intriguing dynamics of the two-way dog fight, which pits an establishment-backed moderate (Lieutenant Governor David Dewhurst), against an insurgent movement conservative (former Texas Solicitor General Ted Cruz). Neither candidate managed to win a majority in the state's May primary, forcing today's runoff. Dewhurst has run an extremely well-financed campaign and has enjoyed the backing of the formidable state Republican machine, including high-profile...
In response to:
Not stupid, one of my own reasons. Dewhurst is 66 already, Cruz is 41, I believe. Cruz can serve four terms before he is as old as David Dewhurst.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 7 hours ago
- Video: Losing Andrea Mitchell Mary Katharine Ham 7 hours ago
- Boehner: Obama lawsuit will focus on Obamacare enforcement Mary Katharine Ham 8 hours ago
- Ann Coulter: Chris McDaniel’s killing his political future by contesting the Mississippi runoff results Allahpundit 9 hours ago
- Watch Jake Tapper embarrass pro-Hamas attorney Noah Rothman 9 hours ago
- Joe Scarborough: Glenn Beck is following Jesus’s playbook in providing humanitarian aid to young illegals Allahpundit 10 hours ago