I weep for the present. I remember many protests on the Bezerkeley campus and many others in the 1960's. That generation of graduates have been university instructors for years. They have turned out almost 2 generations of progressives. This is a big factor in the current woes.

You Don't Have to Stay Poor

SolofTexas Wrote: Sep 11, 2013 8:18 AM
We will all be poor until there is a revolution of thought - a modern tax revolution that rejects the concept of production taxation. Until the power of corrupt federal and state institutions is curtailed, we shall mostly be the servants of the government,. rather than government being in service to the people.

Are We Rome Yet?

SolofTexas Wrote: Jul 31, 2013 11:45 PM
Many do not realize that Rome was once occupied for a short period during the Republic by Trans-Alpine Gauls. The Eternal City" was nearly completely destroyed. Yet Republican Romans had a sense of honor, integrity, and morality that the later Empire lacked. The parallels are staggering.
If there is no adage that "You are what you are named", there should be!
The only chance for restoring capitalism lies in a (bloodless) tax revolution - the repeal of the income tax and introduction of the fair tax. The alternatives are a bloody revolution or slavery for all.
Harold -- I largely agree with you. Ponder that we now call "computers" are more fancy terminals that connect to a "cloud" wherein the true power and leverage of computing lies. Notice "the cloud" is an attempt to centralize and control knowledge, information, and action.
Good questions - worthy of good answers. This eternal quote phrases it better than I am capable of: “Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!”

What's Wrong With the News

SolofTexas Wrote: Jul 28, 2013 11:28 AM
My father was conscripted and sent to Korea in 1951. He told me the whole heavy ordnance company he served in busted out laughing at mail call when two ROK soldiers names were called: - Kim Chu Suk - Kim Bong Ju Yes, some of the names are unusual and funny when viewed from the perspective of western culture.

What's Wrong With the News

SolofTexas Wrote: Jul 28, 2013 11:23 AM
As Borat might phrase a reply ... "Very nice".

What's Wrong With the News

SolofTexas Wrote: Jul 28, 2013 11:22 AM
The PC crowd has forgotten what humor IS!

What's Wrong With the News

SolofTexas Wrote: Jul 28, 2013 11:20 AM
In this age of selfishness, management expects bottom-up loyalty. It is extremely rare for said managers to exhibit top-down loyalty. It's a significant contribution to the economic and moral mess we find ourselves in.