Sorry, Mav You're the one off base here. The word "respecting" here has nothing to do with Aretha Franklin, but rather is properly defined as "regarding," or "having to do with." Thus the legal clause here is understood to mean that Congress is prohibited from establishing any kind of "official" state religion, in contrast to the practice in virtually all of Europe at that time. The purpose was to protect the citizens and churches from interference on the part of the government, not to protect the government from religion. Like it or not, in a republic, ALL opinions are valid in the political debate, even those that have their roots in religious belief.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 8 hours ago
- Super: NASA’s asteroid avoidance program is on par with the rest of the federal government Mary Katharine Ham 9 hours ago
- Adrian Peterson: “I am, without a doubt, not a child abuser.” Jazz Shaw 9 hours ago
- Video: Florida mom arrested, charged with child neglect for letting her seven-year-old have a sip of whiskey Allahpundit 10 hours ago
- Officer in Daniele Watts handcuff incident was responding to a call Jazz Shaw 11 hours ago
- Friendly reminder: Republicans could absolutely fail to win the Senate Guy Benson 11 hours ago