Sorry, Mav You're the one off base here. The word "respecting" here has nothing to do with Aretha Franklin, but rather is properly defined as "regarding," or "having to do with." Thus the legal clause here is understood to mean that Congress is prohibited from establishing any kind of "official" state religion, in contrast to the practice in virtually all of Europe at that time. The purpose was to protect the citizens and churches from interference on the part of the government, not to protect the government from religion. Like it or not, in a republic, ALL opinions are valid in the political debate, even those that have their roots in religious belief.
- Begich: Hey, I’m a thorn in Obama’s … whatever Ed Morrissey 23 minutes ago
- Josh Earnest: We’re the most transparent administration ever, no matter what journalists say Ed Morrissey 1 hour ago
- Paul vs. Perry, Round 2: Rand says Rick is ‘stuck in the past’ Noah Rothman 1 hour ago
- Israel shoots down Hamas drone as escalation continues Ed Morrissey 2 hours ago
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 14 hours ago
- Video: Nothing to see here: Obama is “Faithfully executing the laws” Jazz Shaw 15 hours ago