Sorry, Mav You're the one off base here. The word "respecting" here has nothing to do with Aretha Franklin, but rather is properly defined as "regarding," or "having to do with." Thus the legal clause here is understood to mean that Congress is prohibited from establishing any kind of "official" state religion, in contrast to the practice in virtually all of Europe at that time. The purpose was to protect the citizens and churches from interference on the part of the government, not to protect the government from religion. Like it or not, in a republic, ALL opinions are valid in the political debate, even those that have their roots in religious belief.
- Quotes of the day Allahpundit 7 hours ago
- Obama: The world’s always been messy, but now social media is amplifying it Mary Katharine Ham 8 hours ago
- Video: Hot Air exclusive interview with Gov. Rick Perry Ed Morrissey 8 hours ago
- “Walking Dead” grumble thread: Hey, maybe Daryl’s gay Allahpundit 9 hours ago
- Report: ISIS eyeing Mexican border to infiltrate America and execute terrorist attacks Noah Rothman 10 hours ago
- Should Kirsten Gillibrand name the senator who told her “I like my girls chubby”? Allahpundit 10 hours ago