Sorry, Mav You're the one off base here. The word "respecting" here has nothing to do with Aretha Franklin, but rather is properly defined as "regarding," or "having to do with." Thus the legal clause here is understood to mean that Congress is prohibited from establishing any kind of "official" state religion, in contrast to the practice in virtually all of Europe at that time. The purpose was to protect the citizens and churches from interference on the part of the government, not to protect the government from religion. Like it or not, in a republic, ALL opinions are valid in the political debate, even those that have their roots in religious belief.
- Hannity: Bundy’s comments on race are beyond repugnant to me Allahpundit 40 minutes ago
- Should the GOP push to lower the drinking age to 18? Allahpundit 1 hour ago
- Harry Reid: I call on Republican leaders to denounce this hateful racist Bundy Allahpundit 2 hour ago
- Report: Oregon is about to give up on its ObamaCare exchange Erika Johnsen 2 hours ago
- Captain Kirk: Give Hillary the conn Ed Morrissey 3 hours ago
- Dumb new controversy: Should the 9/11 Museum mention jihad? Allahpundit 4 hours ago