Gary Becker (1930-2014)

Sockpuppet Wrote: May 06, 2014 1:09 PM
I thought heard Hewitt say he worked for PBS at one time...and I think he did a documentary for them. If not, Dinesh D'Souza knows how to produce a good documentary.

Gary Becker (1930-2014)

Sockpuppet Wrote: May 06, 2014 9:20 AM
I wonder if Drs. Sowell, Williams and other of Friedman's protégés would ever consider doing a modern re-make of Friedman's "Free to Choose" PBS series. We live in a society where economic myths are propagated freely through the media and ignorance of basic economic principles is profound. Doesn't Hugh Hewitt have some production experience with PBS?

Getting Repeal Right

Sockpuppet Wrote: Apr 29, 2014 2:32 PM
The individual mandate (forcing individuals to buy insurance) is inextricably linked to the mandate for insurance companies to cover pre-existing conditions. You cannot have one without the other. If you make insurance companies cover preexisting conditions but don't force people to buy insurance, then no one buys insurance until after they get sick. If there is no mandate to buy insurance then I just wait until I get cancer and call the insurance company and tell them they have to pay for my treatments then when the treatments are done I stop paying premiums again. It is not economically sustainable. If you are proposing dropping the individual mandate AND the preexisting condition coverage then there is nothing really left of Obamacare anyway. HealthCare reform should consist of eliminating Obamacare and deregulation of the insurance companies to eliminate the ridiculous coverage mandates like requiring insurance companies to cover non-emergency medical procedures and medicines unless people actually want them included in their coverage and are willing to pay the corresponding increase in premiums. Give people choice. Address portability between jobs, etc. and allow insurance sales across state lines via regulating interstate commerce.

History's Greatest Event

Sockpuppet Wrote: Apr 11, 2014 1:39 PM
Good article, but I take issue with Eric's comparison of the disciples with the 9/11 hijackers and "dying for a lie". The 19 hijackers believed in Allah and the Jihad he ordered were true (even though we of course know their faith is "a lie"). The disciples, on the other hand, went to their deaths proclaiming they had seen and witnessed the resurrected Christ which, if untrue, they all would have known to be a lie. I can think of no other examples in history where people go to their deaths and are killed for proclaiming something that they KNOW to be a lie and could avoid death by simply recanting the "lie".
I'm with Buckley and support "...the most conservative candidate that can win." Can Conger win in the General election in Oregon?

Republicans and Blacks

Sockpuppet Wrote: Mar 25, 2014 10:42 AM
Democrats have been treating Black Americans like dogs or puppies for over 200 years ... but never as equals, never, NEVER as equals.

Republicans and Blacks

Sockpuppet Wrote: Mar 25, 2014 10:30 AM
Those laws were put in place by liberal Democrats like her as well.

The Left Versus Minorities

Sockpuppet Wrote: Mar 11, 2014 4:32 PM
A modern day Bull Connor blocking the schoolhouse doors. De Blasio believes (and may be correct) that people will give him a pass on this overtly racist act because he is married to a black woman. He thinks it gives him permission to do what every liberal wants to do, but could never get away with politically.
I like Rand Paul and would vote for him if he were the nominee (No one articulates Americas economic problems and solutions better) but I am concerned that his non-interventionist foreign policy statements would encourage the bad actors around the world to "act up" under a Rand Paul Presidency. If the Putins of the world know there will be no military response to their acts of aggression, it will encourage more acts of aggression. If I were Putin, China, or Iran, I would rather have Rand Paul in the White House than Hilary. She would be more likely to respond militarily than Rand Paul. I am as war-fatigued as anyone else, but we cannot forget that weakness invites attack. If we go through an entire presidential campaign talking about cutting military budgets, bringing home American troops and implying or stating plainly that acts of aggression will not result in a military response, we should not be surprised that aggressors around the world see that as an opportunity.
...asks the 25 year-old college graduate.